Honorable
Jun 9, 2015
Specs:
i7 8086k delidded woth liquid metal and OC'd @5.0Ghz all cores
Evga Rtx 2080ti xc
16 ram 3200mhz cas14
Cooler aio ASUS ROG Ryuo 120
Case In-Win A1 Plus
Recently I went to a sff case (the Inwin A1+ its gorgeous, however, as expected, not great airflow and I get pretty bad thermals on the CPU, I have a delidded with liquid metal 8086k overclocked to 5ghz at all cores, the thing is that it is being cooled by a 120mm rad AIO liquid cooler. Yes, I know 120mm rads are pointless, but in this case theres no other options.
When I run a stress test it spikes immediately from 92-98C. However in more realistic scenarios like just gaming in heavy CPU games like open worlds such as GTA V online and Assassin's Creed it spikes up to 87ºC. So, is 87 degrees safe to run the CPU in long gaming sessions?
Or should I return the A1+ case and get both a bigger and better case with better airflow and more importantly a bigger radiator? I was thinking on the NZXT H210i m-ITX case + any 240mm radiator liquid cooler AIO

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Because there is always someone trying to figure out how to stick a V8 under the hood of a mini-Cooper. If there's any way to get more, in less, someone will figure out a way. That's how you end up with gaming laptops, watches that double as a phone, Swiss army knives.

I mean there IS a way it can be done, but will require splicing a second 120mm rad/fan in-line with the first, a hackintosh custom loop, but that can create a headache and runs the possibility of leaks as there are no standard fittings for that tubing. If you used a different setup or went full custom loop, it'd be more possible.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
120mm aios are not crap. They run pretty much exactly the same as a CM hyper212 evo. Same temps, same range, same capacity. About the only thing that isn't the same is the price, and some ppl could care less about that. I ran a H55 on my i5-3570k with no issues at all for 7 years.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That I'll agree to happily. Budget 140w range coolers have no business on a quad i7 which can generally hit 1.5-2x its TDP. With Hexa i7/i9 look at coolers closer to 2.5x+ TDP.

For the 8700k, should be running coolers rated at @ 180w+. That'll put Prime95 temps @ 70°C± and gaming temps @ 55°C±.

Reactions: CompuTronix