Running Different Ram sticks in duel channel

dancefreaky

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
Hello, this is my first post so it might be a bit messy.
I recently bought a hyper x Kingston 8gb 2400mhz stick of ddr4 to run with my 4gb 2400mhz Kingston stick of ddr4 in duel channel, i put the 8gb stick into slot 2 and 4gb into slot 4 and it didn't boot, 4gb slot 2 8gb slot 4 no boot, 8gb in slot 2 no 4gb it boots, 4gb in slot 1 8gb in slot 2 boots, but not in duel channel. If anyone knows any tricks on how to get this Working i would love to know.
thanks.
Specs:
psu: Evga 500w
gpu: R9 290
cpu: g4620
mobo: MSI Z170A Mate
storage: 1tb seagate 7.2k rpm
ram:?

Solution
You cannot, in most cases, run different sized sticks in dual channel. In some few cases there is support for Flex mode, that will run 4gb of the larger module in dual channel with the smaller 4gb module, and then 4gb in in single channel, but most boards don't support this.

You will likely either have to get another module that matches your 8GB module, or your 4GB module if cost is a major consideration, or simply run them in single channel. There is no magic bullet to fix them not running in dual channel if both modules are running together in single channel and are stable already.
You cannot, in most cases, run different sized sticks in dual channel. In some few cases there is support for Flex mode, that will run 4gb of the larger module in dual channel with the smaller 4gb module, and then 4gb in in single channel, but most boards don't support this.

You will likely either have to get another module that matches your 8GB module, or your 4GB module if cost is a major consideration, or simply run them in single channel. There is no magic bullet to fix them not running in dual channel if both modules are running together in single channel and are stable already.

Solution
If you cannot run those modules when installed in slots 2 (Likely 8GB module) and 4, then there is a compatibility issue. Also, there are never any guarantees that running different modules, or even identical modules when not purchased in a matched set TOGETHER, will run in dual channel even if they are otherwise exactly the same, or even run together at ALL. This is the population rules for your board. If you have to do something that deviates from the population rules below, then there is a problem with the sticks not being compatible enough.

jl6v49.jpg

dancefreaky

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018

Thanks, i will just run in single channel till i get a matching 8gb stick which judging by the current market will be a while.

I fully understand that. I have 16GB, but sort of NEED 32GB due to some of the things I do, but that is going to wait until sanity returns to the market.

Same goes for my graphics card which is getting long in the tooth. No way I'm paying current prices. I'll even use my integrated graphics if this card fails before prices return to something like normal again, if I have to. I like to game too, but not THAT much.