[SOLVED] Running GPU below PSU recommendations...

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Tonight I am curious. How many people are running video cards on power supplies that are below the recommended PSU requirements on the box for the GPU?

For example running a Red Devil 5700 XT on a 600W PSU instead of the 700W minimum system requirement on the box?

Solution
I've been lucky knocks on wood with the PSU so far. I'm hoping it can carry my rig when AMD comes out with the 6000 series GPU or the 3070. For about a week I was running a 5700 XT Raw II on this set up and it ran well. I just ended up returning the GPU because it wasn't much of an improvement over my EVGA 1070ti.

I’d change it as soon as you can. Just because it works doesn’t mean anything. A low quality psu can die without notice damaging other components or can reduce the life of other components by providing ’dirty’ power. A gaming pc put the psu under high load for long periods of time. A high quality psu is an investment in the safety of your components.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Understand that they have to bloat their stated requirements in order to capture even the most rigged out machine. Sure it will run on a 600 watt power supply, but if you've got water cooling, a high power usage processor, add-on cards/drives and RGB lighting; all that adds up and now 600 watts isn't enough.

So just to cover the bases, they state 700 watts.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: mictian1980

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Understand that they have to bloat their stated requirements in order to capture even the most rigged out machine. Sure it will run on a 600 watt power supply, but if you've got water cooling, a high power usage processor, add-on cards/drives and RGB lighting; all that adds up and now 600 watts isn't enough.

So just to cover the bases, they state 700 watts.

-Wolf sends
I’m anxious since the current crop of new GPUs require higher wattage PSUs. I am hoping the next round of GPUs (3070, 3060, AMD 6000s) will let me keep my almost new 600W PSU. The only fancy thing in my computer now is the RGB CPU cooler that came with my 3700x. Thank you for the reply.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I’m anxious since the current crop of new GPUs require higher wattage PSUs. I am hoping the next round of GPUs (3070, 3060, AMD 6000s) will let me keep my almost new 600W PSU. The only fancy thing in my computer now is the RGB CPU cooler that came with my 3700x. Thank you for the reply.

The main qustion, of course, always revolves on what the actual quality of this 600W PSU is.

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
That’s a low quality psu. It’s not the bottom of the pile but I wouldn’t use it in any gaming pc.
I've been lucky knocks on wood with the PSU so far. I'm hoping it can carry my rig when AMD comes out with the 6000 series GPU or the 3070. For about a week I was running a 5700 XT Raw II on this set up and it ran well. I just ended up returning the GPU because it wasn't much of an improvement over my EVGA 1070ti.

I’d change it as soon as you can. Just because it works doesn’t mean anything. A low quality psu can die without notice damaging other components or can reduce the life of other components by providing ’dirty’ power. A gaming pc put the psu under high load for long periods of time. A high quality psu is an investment in the safety of your components.

Solution

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I'm eyeballing a "be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W, BN653. What are your thoughts on this PSU?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup, the Dark Power Pro is much better. The Thermaltake should not be running the current specs. The thing is, you don't actually know how the PSU is running, and unless you're doing actual electrical tests with a proper load tester, all you can tell is if the PSU and the various components are alive and not dead, which is a bit like a cardiologist making evaluations in the same manner.