Question Running gpu close to 100% usage for long hours question

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Hello, I hope this is not a dumb question.

I have a 3060ti ftw from evga and it is at stock no oc from me.

I would like to know if running the gpu between 85-99% usage during gaming is a bad thing if I am doing it for long periods of time.

long period of time would be between 2-5 hours

right now my main game is destiny and I want to get 144fps but to achieve this my gpu has to remain to close to 100% it seems. Seeing my gpu usage get close to 100% for hours on 1440p it makes me feel uneasy because I once had a bad experience years back with a gpu I would rather not happen again.

my temps never go above 60c. A random 61 or 62c for half a second maybe.

thank you.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Sorry to be a pain but the capacitors and memory etc will be fine? I read a lot of horror stories with gpus and still have a bit of ptsd from my experience years ago

Again I apologies if my questions are dumb 😅

KyaraM

Admirable
No, there is no issue. Those cards are designed to run that way. As long as youd temps don't get too high, you are fine, and your temps are better than mine. And my 70°C is still completely normal and safe. You are worrying over nothing. For example, my old 1070 is still kicking and working like the day I got it after 5 years of running at 100% for hours almost every day.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
No, there is no issue. Those cards are designed to run that way. As long as youd temps don't get too high, you are fine, and your temps are better than mine. And my 70°C is still completely normal and safe. You are worrying over nothing. For example, my old 1070 is still kicking and working like the day I got it after 5 years of running at 100% for hours almost every day.

I gotcha. Thank you both for your answers. Also this is me being lucky with it being winter. When dumber comes, hopefully I can keep them under control heh.

The GPU will not be damaged by high usage, as that is what they are designed to do. The issues will only come with heat. 60C is beyond good, 70C is considered good temps. Once you reach 80C, you are starting to get into high temperatures. You could run the GPU at max capability for hours every day with no measurable damage or decrease in performance with good temps, like you have now.

Reactions: KyaraM

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
The GPU will not be damaged by high usage, as that is what they are designed to do. The issues will only come with heat. 60C is beyond good, 70C is considered good temps. Once you reach 80C, you are starting to get into high temperatures. You could run the GPU at max capability for hours every day with no measurable damage or decrease in performance with good temps, like you have now.
Tyvm. Again I just get paranoid from how my last gpu died years ago. Left a bad memory so I get worried easily.

Tyvm. Again I just get paranoid from how my last gpu died years ago. Left a bad memory so I get worried easily.
Huge chance something else killed your last GPU, or it was old enough to not thermal throttle itself. A modern GPU will slow down (throttling) when the temps get too high, in order to prevent any damage. Very long term damage could still occur, and the overheating issue should be fixed, but one overheat cycle will do nothing to hurt the GPU. Damage would only happen when the temps get super high, into and above the 90s for a long, long time at minimum. A friend used a broken AMD R7 360 that ran at 99C under full load for 3 years, and that card is still alive, it just lives in a drawer now.

A bad PSU is much more likely to cause a PGU death than overheating, assuming the rest of the GPU is working properly (Vbios, drivers, etc)

Reactions: KyaraM

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Huge chance something else killed your last GPU, or it was old enough to not thermal throttle itself. A modern GPU will slow down (throttling) when the temps get too high, in order to prevent any damage. Very long term damage could still occur, and the overheating issue should be fixed, but one overheat cycle will do nothing to hurt the GPU. Damage would only happen when the temps get super high, into and above the 90s for a long, long time at minimum. A friend used a broken AMD R7 360 that ran at 99C under full load for 3 years, and that card is still alive, it just lives in a drawer now.

A bad PSU is much more likely to cause a PGU death than overheating, assuming the rest of the GPU is working properly (Vbios, drivers, etc)

I had an evga 1070 ftw that after about 3 and a half years, one day a capacitor or 2 just exploded. It was the firs time I ever experienced something like that and to this day it still lingers in my mind.

KyaraM

Admirable
I had an evga 1070 ftw that after about 3 and a half years, one day a capacitor or 2 just exploded. It was the firs time I ever experienced something like that and to this day it still lingers in my mind.
Sounds like they might have been bad from the start, honestly, or installed improperly (though then it usuallyhappens faster). Can happen with anything that has capacitors, from PSU to mainboard, and to any brands. Recently, iirc one the Gigabyte Z690 board series had that issue. Also, as stated above, bad PSUs can easily kill components, too.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Sounds like they might have been bad from the start, honestly, or installed improperly (though then it usuallyhappens faster). Can happen with anything that has capacitors, from PSU to mainboard, and to any brands. Recently, iirc one the Gigabyte Z690 board series had that issue. Also, as stated above, bad PSUs can easily kill components, too.
Yea believe me the thought of all this crosses my mind XD

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
It sounds to me just like a bad or poor quality PSU caused the issue. If it was not a bad PSU, then it was something out of your control, as long as you kept the PC clean, and didnt expose it to water or anything.
Hm, my system was fine back then and then all of the sudden 2 capacitors on the 1070 blew up. I took very good care of my hardware.

it was bought during the evga “capacitor plague”. Mine just took 3 years to finally go I guess?

Hm, my system was fine back then and then all of the sudden 2 capacitors on the 1070 blew up. I took very good care of my hardware.

it was bought during the evga “capacitor plague”. Mine just took 3 years to finally go I guess?
Possibly. Not sure exactly, but a capacitor blowing up is not something that can be prevented or caused by the user, as long as the GPU is used normally, IE, not damaged or overclocked to extreme levels (even that might not cause it). As long as your temps are good, and the card is kept in good physical condition, you will be fine.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Possibly. Not sure exactly, but a capacitor blowing up is not something that can be prevented or caused by the user, as long as the GPU is used normally, IE, not damaged or overclocked to extreme levels (even that might not cause it). As long as your temps are good, and the card is kept in good physical condition, you will be fine.
I gotcha. Knock on wood!