Running hot? What would you suggest?

emmzee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Sorry if this q'n has been asked before, I did take a look at the "Core 2 core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide" but only moderately understood it :??:

My system that I built myself last Friday is:
Intel Q6600 cpu
Antec Sonata III case
ASUS P5Q motherboard
Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 (w Arctic Silver 5)
Sapphire Radeon 4850
Note that I've built PCs before but the last one I built was probably 7-8 years ago! :)

Anywho, without any overclocking it would sit at 48C (idle) and right now I tried overclocking it 2.7ghz instead of the stock 2.4ghz and it's at 55C according to Core Temperature as I type this (with a couple Firefox windows open and a few other programs like MSN & Skype running).

cpu.jpg

(Stepping is on)

I ran Prime95 for about an hour and when I turned it off the cpu temp had gone to 80C. I haven't changed anything in the BIOS except the multiplier & FSB values, all the others are auto. I'm thinking this is running hotter than it should.

What would you suggest to make this better, or what is the likely culprit?

Improperly applied CPU paste? (I tried to follow the directions on the Arctic Silver site and did clean off the stuff that comes already applied to the Freezer Pro before applying the Arctic Silver paste ...)

Need a better CPU fan (if so, which one would be best & fit in my case)?

Everything is installed properly afaik, and I've had no crashes or anything, however I've read everywhere that this cpu should "easily" be able to overclock to 3.0 but ...

Thanks everyone!!! :)

+1 to both of the above. Make sure all the pushpins actually clicked into place. Support your mobo from beneath when you do this, if need be after removing it from your case.
Particularly if you inadvertently touched the top of your CPU with a bare finger, clean off the old paste using some 91% isopropyll alcohol, re-apply a small amount (a rice-grain sized dollup in the middle, spread with a finger in a plastic bag works well), and reseat the HSF.

emmzee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Hi thanks very much for your replies! I will open up the case tonight and reseat the heatsink and see if that helps.

Re the Arctic Silver paste, I did apply it according to that guide on the site, though I may still have put too much, I'll reapply it. So I need a line like it says in the guide right, because I've seen people saying to put a "grain of rice" size amount, but the guide seems to show a lot more than that. What do you suggest I use to clean off the CPU & the bottom of the heatsink? Like what to wipe it with when I use the alcohol to clean it?

Re ventilation of the case, what do you mean exactly? I've tried to push all the wires/cables out of the way inside and so on, and the case is a few inches away from the wall at the back and away from the desk at the side.

Thanks again for the help :)

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Grain of rice size is usually just suggested since it is a good way to communicate how little paste you need. It is easy for people who have never had this explained to them to apply far too much and hurt performance. Both techniques work well assuming they are done correctly, the rice grain one being the easiest. Like stated use isopropyl alcohol to clean off the thermal paste. I find Q-Tips work the best for this just make sure you have plenty as it is possible to go through quite a few.

As for the ventilation comment he is telling you to double check to make sure you are getting good air flow in your case. The easiest way to test this is to just take the side off the case and if you see a large improvement in temps then you have poor ventilation.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
What is the temperature of the room your computer is in? That can play a major factor in determining why your CPU is a bit hot. Worst case scenario, those temps you posted are slightly high, but well within acceptable tolerances.

emmzee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
So here's my post-fix-attempt report :)

I took out the whole motherboard, removed the heatsink, cleaned the cpu and the bottom of the heatsink, reapplied (a smaller amount of) Arctic Silver, reinstalled the heatsink making sure the clips were in firmly, and put the whole thing back in the case and plugged all the stuff in.

Turned it on. Went into the BIOS, checked the CPU temperature ... rats, it's sitting at 50C. Owell, it was worth a shot, and ... hey, wait, now it's at 55 ... 56 .. 57 ... 58 ...

CRAP THAT AIN'T RIGHT :ouch:

It rapidly gets up into the 70's!!! I quickly exit the BIOS and shut down the pc, check inside the case ... and two of the clips on the heatsink came out! I'm 100% sure they were in securely when I stood it up. Yarrr wtf! At least this confirms that the clips were all attached before :??:

So I struggle to get them re-clipped without removing the heatsink again and manage to do so. Carefully stand the PC back up and check to make sure they're still in properly.

(Aside: Does anyone else think this method of securing the heatsink is crap? It says in the instructions for the heatsink to use a screwdriver to twist them ... how the heck do they expect you to do that when the fan is sitting like 2mm above the clip!?)

Anywho. Turn it back on ... and okay it's sitting at 44C! Not super cool but, hey that's about 5C cooler than before when I'd turn it on. Then I put the side of the case back on, and the temperature climbs to 47-48C. Hmmmm ... bad ventilation!! My roommate happens to have an extra 120mm fan (!) so I install that in the front of the case.

As I type this Core Temp shows 44C ... which is 11C cooler than I started with. :) Now it's not overclocked; it's at stock 2.4ghz ... but still, I'm reasonably pleased.

Thanks everyone for your help! :love:

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
did you turn of the smart fan control so the fan can run at 100% all the time. what the load temp? but i still think you should pretty down on the cooler see how much cooler it will get.

TRENDING THREADS