Running Into BSOD After Installing Windows 10 On Custom Computer

Uygnij

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
So I'm currently building my computer and just when I thought I was all done I ran into one more problem. I finished installing Windows 10, but the next time I start up my PC I ran into the blue screen of death. Two error messages came up, one was "Kernel Security Check Failure" and the other was "System Thread Exception Not Handled". One or the other usually appeared after the Windows logo and it goes into a infinite restarting loop.

I do realize this is a fairly common problem and I've tried some solutions. I've reinstalled a copy of Windows 10 on my USB and reinstalled it on my computer once but I'm running into the same problem. Currently I'm trying to look for other solutions but it seems like the more solutions I try the more problems I run into to. I have multiple friends who are familiar with building and assembling a computer but they're all not too familiar with problems similar to this. If I can have any help or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I can also provide more details if required. Thank you for reading and caring about my problem.

Solution
Hello... One small tipped screw driver typically will reach across these pins... I suggest longer than 5-10 secs, I like to be sure at this point. B )
Place you computer on it's side if this makes it easier for access and get a good light for your eyes... you should be fine just don't press real hard on the pins and bend them or break them off B O

Uygnij

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

Nope, when I start up my computer it goes through the starting stuff but after the Windows logo appears it gives me the blue screen of death with either "Kernel Security Check Failure" or "System Thread Exception Not Handled" and it restarts my computer for me and it turns into a infinite loop of errors and restarting.

Hello... Well... I would suggest a "Clean install" of the OS then.
"Clean Install' means deleting all previous "Partitions" on the HD/SSD ( using the install media )... before install of the OS.

1) Install/Boot from your Windows install media.
2) Type in needed data and complete information screens.
3) "Type of install" screen choose "Custom Install"
4) When HD/SSD/Drive information screen is Displayed click the "Drive options" app below.
5) Highlight a "Partition" and click delete.
6) Repeat till there are NO more "Partitions" visible.
6a) sometimes it takes a few "re-boots" with the install media to get them all.
7) When your drive is "Clean" Start/click the OS "Install" and the Windows "Install button" And the install will start... AND will create the needed "New Partitions" on it.

B) As a suggestion if you get the same BAD results, you could Disable in your MB BIO's the LAN, Audio, Blue tooth hardware (Save&exit) to see if the install is goes better... If you got a MB or CPU GPU, Try the install without your GPU plugged in too. This will Test to see if the OS installing a driver or has a communications problem with these devices. We can re-enable these one at time later... ok? B /

C) I have also seen where some Keyboard brands/models can cause this to with a USB id conflict... what are currently using? do you have access to another "Basic" keyboard as a "Simple test"? (hint a basic DELL USB id always works/boot for me)

Uygnij

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

Hello... thank you very much for the quick response. I am very lucky to have someone as experienced as you to help me but this is where I run into more problems. Your step 2 says "Type in needed data and complete information screens." but I've tried to boot from my USB (If that's what you mean by Windows install media) and when I do it still goes to the blue screen of death after flashing me their logo. I might be doing something wrong but every time I go to bios or press F11 which takes me directly to the boot options and I select my USB as boot option #1. It still takes me to the blue screen and goes into yet another infinite loop. Does anything sound off? Maybe I'm missing a step...

UPDATE 1: I tried to install from my USB again and I ran into something new. Now it's stuck on the Blue and Black windows logo and nothing is happening... weird.

UPDATE 2: Tried the same thing again and successfully reproduced what happened earlier. Did I somehow install Windows wrong on my USB?

Hello... Ok good info... 1b) IF You are not getting the MEDIA to start the install... We need to verify your Install media then... if you unplug your boot HD/SSD from the power and sata cable... Does the media proceed to step 2?

C) I have also seen where some Keyboard brands/models can cause this to with a USB id conflict... what are you currently using? do you have access to another "Basic" keyboard as a "Simple test"? (hint a basic DELL USB id always works/boots for me)

Uygnij

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

Huh, have never thought to do that. So should I unplug my HD and then try? Is it okay to just leave the HD and wires in there?

As for the keyboard and mouse thing I'd have to do some digging before I can tell you the models, I'll try to unplug the HD first. If that doesn't work out I'll be back with the keyboard and mouse models and brands.

Hello... Yes... 1c) Simply unplug from the HD/SSD or the MB which ever is easiest to get to... sata cable can hang free, but not next to fan Blade. (hint use masking tape for temporary holding cables from fan blade trouble).

C2) I have not seen this problem with mice... just a few lesser known keyboard brands.

Uygnij

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

I've unplugged the HD and booted the PC up from USB but now I run into the problem from earlier. It just freezes on the Windows 10 logo, the weird part is that when it happens both the keyboard and mouse turns off. Since both light up it's fairly easy to tell, but I can't think of a reason for why it's like that.

UPDATE 1: I tried booting it two ways, one was through the custom boot up accessible through F11 which yielded the result above but the second method is to set the boot order through BIOS. That actually resulted in something different, this time it also goes into a loop of some sort but instead of a error message popping up now it just restarts after flashing the Windows logo.

Hello... 1d) As a "Simple Test" Do you have any other Windows versions or media you could try and Boot from?
1e) If you would do a battery removal and CMOS clear, with the MB/BIO's defaults do you get the same results?

Take your time here and be slow and careful to your MB... look in your MB manual/Pdf for pictures and location of the SW/pins. B )
1) un-plug PS from wall.
2) remove MB battery
3) place jumper pins/switch on MB to clear the capacitors... for ~3 mins
4) remove Jumper/switch
5) re-install battery
6) plug monitor into the MB video output OR Video card for a BOOT display, And set your monitor for that cable input.
7) plug in PS to wall
8) Boot computer.

Uygnij

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

I'm installing Windows 10 from USB so I'm not too sure I can get my hands on any other version... as for media I don't have any other free USB that is over 4GB. If nothing works I can borrow it from a friend or something I guess.

As for the battery removal CMOS I can try. To be honest I don't have too much experience with building PC and PC parts in general. [strike]The only step I'm not quite sure of is number 3. What do you mean by place jumper pins/switch on capacitors? [/strike] Alright I'll just watch a good old YouTube video. I'll give you a reply once I've tried this.

Hello... 1e) YES... Utube is Good...There is a CMOS Clear pin Jumper or switch on the MB... look in your MB manual/Pdf for pictures and location of the SW/pins. B )

1d) WE will investigate/re-create you BOOT media if the above does not work... but at this point I will need to More about your MB and Hardware installed... brands and #'s please and WIN10 OS version being installed/used... too determine if you have a "special" situation here.

1f) Make sure you are using a FAT32 formatted, mark as "bootable", USB2 stick and try using a USB2 port on the back of your MB... also disconnect the Case/MB USB2/3 header/connection to the front USB Case connections, to eliminate any possible problems from there.

Uygnij

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

Oh man... so I've located the CMOS Clear pins and I also found the page in the manual but it only says "Use jumper cap to short..." and doesn't actually state where the jumper cap is. Does it usually come with the motherboard? I've watched a video and on there it states that it's possible for the jumper cap to be placed in the motherboard but only with one pin in so it doesn't actually do anything but after scanning my motherboard multiple times I haven't seen anything resembling a cap.

Hello... You jumper is Missing? that's possible... they can be found on other MB's and HD's or in a plastic package that came in the MB Box... I have a pile of them here B D... if a jumper can not be found? Then carefully touch/short the pins with TIP of a small metal screw driver. we are trying to drain a small capacitor that holding the last "1's" and "0" from the CMOS chip B /

Uygnij

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

Fair enough, so the directions in the manual is Power Off, use jumper for 5-10 seconds, remove jumper, power on. So should I just replace jumper with small screw? Do I have to do anything extra since it is a screwdriver? Also should I touch both pins with two screwdrivers or... (Sorry for so many questions xD)

Hello... One small tipped screw driver typically will reach across these pins... I suggest longer than 5-10 secs, I like to be sure at this point. B )
Place you computer on it's side if this makes it easier for access and get a good light for your eyes... you should be fine just don't press real hard on the pins and bend them or break them off B O

Solution

TRENDING THREADS