Question Running into multiple issues, not sure what to pinpoint it to. System freezing, chrome not opening, Windows user login screen delay.

dagobert

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Specs
CPU:
Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard:
Asus TUF Gaming X-570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU:
RTX 2080 Ti
RAM:
16GB (2 x 8GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GTZN DDR4)
Storage:
1tb ADATA SX8200PNP (Windows 10 installation)
PSU:
750 Watts

Since I've been working from home this year, I use my personal computer a lot more. Before I get into the issues, I will explain what my typical daily usage looks like on my PC. I have a Chrome window open where I do my work, and I have anywhere from 10 - 20 tabs open in Chrome. Then I have either a Word or PowerPoint file open with an Edge window open with another 5 tabs or so, and I play a Hulu or YouTube video while working. I also have Microsoft Teams and Outlook running. Other than that, I don't have many things running in the back. I also update my drivers pretty frequently, download, and install any Windows update.

So here are the issues I'm running into:

Issue 1

While working, all of a sudden, a YouTube or Hulu video stops playing the video. The computer at this point isn't frozen, but as soon as I click on the play button, that window freezes. If I click the start menu, that then freezes, or if I open the task manager, then that freezes as well. It's not that the entire computer freezes, but whatever I open or do in turn freezes. This was happening a lot more when I was using the Hulu Windows app itself to play videos. Since I stopped using that, this issue has gotten better but still happens now and then. I'm also not certain this is a video-related issue; it's just that whenever I use the PC for work, I also have a video playing, which is why I'd like to assume the system freezing is related to that.

Issue 2
Last week during a team meeting, and this is the first time my system froze during a video call meeting, typically never had an issue with that. The first time I played a game on my PC in like 3 or 4 months (when I was playing, previously, my system never froze). During the video call meeting on Microsoft Teams, I opened Among Us on Steam (team building activity, we were all playing it...), and within a minute, everything froze. However, I could still hear audio from my team speaking, and I could speak to them. So I force shut down my PC. Restarted, and within a few seconds, my PC would freeze, without trying to run any programs like Teams to get back into the meeting or running the game. This was going on for a good 40 minutes until I decided to do a system restore to an earlier date. The system restore completed, and now my PC didn't freeze up. However, for some reason, Microsoft Teams, Edge, and Chrome wouldn't open. When I'd click on it to open, nothing happened, not even opening for a quick second and then closing—just nothing. Internet Explorer did open, so I downloaded Teams, Edge, and Chrome and re-installed them. Ever since, whenever I turn my computer back on for the day, sometimes Chrome runs into this issue (not the others) where it will not open, so I have to re-install it. Not sure why it's happening to Chrome.

Issue 3
The last issue here I'm facing has been happening since Issue 2. I always shut down my PC when I'm done using it, so whenever I turn it back on, during boot, it's quick as usual, but after the Asus logo stops displaying and should transition into the Windows user login, during that time, it's a black screen and takes longer than usual to transition into the Windows user login screen. Before the events of Issue 2, it was pretty fast, and now there's a noticeable delay of a few seconds.

There you have it, those are the issues I'm running into, and I cannot really tell what's causing it. Is it a software or hardware issue? Are the issues related? Thoughts on how to fix this or troubleshoot this to pinpoint the issue? Everything is under the manufacturer warranty so I don't mind eventually RMA-ing it all to eliminate hardware issues it but it's just that I have to use this for work as well so I rather not do that until it becomes absolutely necessary.

dagobert

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Check cpu temp?
Ssd health? how full is it?
memory usage?
using wifi or Ethernet ?
  • The average temps I notice on my daily usage is around 47 degrees for my CPU and around 41 for GPU.
  • 37.2% full, and CrystalDiskInfo shows it at 99% good health. Although I'm not sure if I'm using that tool correctly or if there's something better to determine the health.
  • Memory usage is at 52%
  • I use ethernet, and my computer is next to my router using a 6ft ethernet cable.