Question Running LM 19.1 from USB stick (pendrive) SOLVED

69Rixter

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
I've "installed"(not "live") LM 19.1 onto a 16Gb (2.0) PNY pendrive. Right off-the-bat, it has major lagging issues and somewhat to a lesser degree, freezing. Example: complete 'boot-up" takes about/around 10 mins to fully initiate.---from splash screen to full "home page" . After which, going to "net", again takes an inordinate amount of time. Once browser is "loaded", it can load pages almost immediately, (sometimes) but usually takes 3-5 mins. D/l times vary depending on their size, but there, often, it freezes and is extremely slow. This is the 3rd LM distro I've tried and the last 2 (LM 18.3 & 19.1) have operating issues that I've not been able to solve. I once had LM 17.3 and it operated beautifully. (yes...from a pendrive). So, I'd like to know if there's anyone here that is familiar with the LM O.S's and may have an idea of what I must do to eliminate the issues of lag and freeze. Truth is, I've asked around at other forums and am not getting any responses. Same w/ "net", nothing there, so far, is of help. Yes, this version of LM is fairly new, but I still don't believe it should have inherent problems like I'm experiencing! Would appreciate some good help/advice.

THANX:

:spamafote:
Rick

I'm still on 17 but I can't see how difficulties like yours are likely to be caused by a new distro. All the varieties of Mint have worked straight out of the box.

Are you using the same stick you've used before and is it plugged into the same port on the same machine? USB 3.0 would be preferable.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I assume you are using Cinnamon GUI right? Whats your specs and the type of graphics card you have. Meanwhile take a look at the end of this page at:

One more thing if you use mint always update using the command line

apt install update
apt install upgrade

There is a bug still in LM update manager I been watching it for a year. If you use the above commands you will be fine.

"Solving freezes during the boot sequence"

https://linuxmint.com/rel_tessa_cinnamon.php

Play the videos to see this how to set this up.

69Rixter

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
RE: EVERYONE

The lagging and freezing issues were solved by making a new "bootable" pendrive using Rufus and opting for dd. I am using LM 19.1X and running it "live" as opposed to the full install.
Now, the only problem I have to deal with is adding/installing "persistence" . Rufus does not allow for persistence and the other programs that offer persistence, do not offer dd. FUN, FUN, FUN 'til my daddy takes my laptop away!!!
THANX All:

:devilish:Rick

69Rixter

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
Re: AllanGH

No, I have not. I found (was told) in order to '"run" LM 19.1X to it's optimum potential you need aprox. 20 Gb's.(install not "live") So, there, I think was my problem w/ the lags and freezing(?) And IF installed, then the O.S. would have it's own persistence. Once I get the O.S. to boot (another thread @ storage forum) I will use your suggested link and run those commands. Thank You for responding!

:devilish:Rick

Dave8671

Distinguished
I did not catch your where trying to save date to the installer pen drive. The reason its being a pain is the live image is compressed on the thumb drive. What I do not know if if this will work for you how you are using ubuntu on a thumb drive that said read this..

69Rixter

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
Everyone:

Let's re-group. Here's my intent; have a LinuxMint distro running "fully installed" via a pendrive. I have tried w/ 16Gb 3.0 & 32gb-3.0, both drives had complete "installs" to them and done so by the LM installer. Both were 'tested" by many programs accessing their "worthiness"; the drives themselves are fine. Both displayed major lagging and freezing. I switched swappiness to 10 and that had little, if any effect. I've read so many how-to's that I think I'm cross-eyed now. And when perusing those how-to's, did not see any difference to what they did and what I did. There's one exception I haven't tried because I'm fairly certain, with the pendrives, it will not work. MKUSB is another I haven't tried for it to, has some issues about using a pendrive. Yes, I know it says it can, but that's not reality...at least from my experience. So, perhaps now your more aware of what I'm attempting. Anyone that can help me solve these issues, well...then the beers are on me!!!
THANX

69Rixter

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
I'm still on 17 but I can't see how difficulties like yours are likely to be caused by a new distro. All the varieties of Mint have worked straight out of the box.

Are you using the same stick you've used before and is it plugged into the same port on the same machine? USB 3.0 would be preferable.

No, sir. Now I use, or can use either of 16-32Gb's 3.0 drives. Before (LM 17.2/3) was a 2.0 drive. Yes, I know where the 2.0 and 3.0 ports are on a comp.

69Rixter

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
I did not catch your where trying to save date to the installer pen drive. The reason its being a pain is the live image is compressed on the thumb drive. What I do not know if if this will work for you how you are using ubuntu on a thumb drive that said read this..

Thank You Dave;

I've tried to use this and there was a problem at one of the steps that caused me to abort the entire process. I know you and a lot of others use this method, but for whatever reasons, it just didn't pan out.