Running One Subnet for IP Cameras and other for Data over the same physical LAN

Feb 6, 2019
Hello Everyone,

One of our sister company network guys came and installed the IP Camera on 192.168.40.0/24 subnet and Data on 192.168.50.0/24 subnet. All are Cisco managable switches and working good. Of course, every few days we much restart all the switches, otherwise network issue will arrive. Please advise me what is the right solution? Some places unmanaged switches also installed for data connectivity.

I expecting earliest and valuable advise.

Thank you,

Regards
Littyjoe

If you do not have vlans it will not work the best. The main issue tends to be that you can only have 1 dhcp server, You can run 1 network static and it will work to a point. You have combined the broadcast networks. You will see arp messages from the wrong networks at times. They will just be ignored but the end devices must still process them. Used to be a much larger issue when cpu were smaller and they did not like all these interruption just to be discarded.

If the cameras actually send their feeds via broadcast all the pc will also receive that broadcast. If the data must be pulled from the camera by say a dvr then it is not as much a issue.

Feb 6, 2019
Thanks for the advise!

I am not using DHCP Server. both the subnets are statically assigned ip. For unmanaged switches for data connectivity, the trunk port can broadcast the data?

I thought create 2 vlan to separate the network.

Not sure what you are asking. If you have "manged" switches you likely can create vlans and created tagged connections between the switchs to keep it all separate. Unmanged switches genreally have no ability to configure them at all.

This will work on unmanaged switches mostly because equipment is stupid and just passes data no matter what.

With Cisco you should expect to have to pay the most and pay for support. It should also run rock solid no issues. I'd get someone in there to check it out.

If you want DIY solution to manage just a few switches there are easier to learn ones like Unifi for layer 2+. If you really need layer3 switches then no DIY solution is going to be easy.