Question Running out of RAM with 32GB installed, no idea what's wrong ?

Jun 24, 2022
Mobo: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
Harddrive: samsung 970 evo plus 1TB + samsung 860 evo 1TB
GPU: GIGABYTE Geforce RTX280 Aorus RGB Fusion
RAM: Two kits of G.Skill trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 16GB RAM (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3200MHZ CL16 1.35V 16-18-18-38
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W 80plus

I think there's a problem once it goes above 16gb. This usually happens when I open chrome with less than 3 tabs while playing a game. I alt tab to view like game guides and stuff of youtube but run chrome's aww snap out of memory issues and the game crashes at the same time.

My Bios is up to date. I'm running XMP profile 1 at 3200mhz 1.35v 16-18-18-38. I've tried not using xmp profile but i get BSOD and have more issues with it off for some reason. I've tested each memory stick in each of the slots on the motherboard with memtest86 (flashed onto usb) and it all passed with 4 passes.

I'm out of ideas as to why its causing the problem. I've had a BSOD a month ago but for the life of god I can't access the minidump. Tried every method to get "permission" but none of it works to check what was actually the cause of it. But I do recall it was due to memory.

The game I play is lost ark and it uses anywhere between 10~14GB on its own. It fluctuates.

I got the extra ram kit so I can use chrome with lots of tabs open while playing games but at this point I'm out of ideas on what to do.

I have tried lots of guides that are out there to fix this problem but no luck.

I've done all the basic methods like increasing power performance, virtual ram etc.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

The most likely explanation for your problem is that you are using 2 different kits. And you have compatibility problems.
There a literally hundreds of posts with basically the same question on these forum.
Your best bet is to sell these kits, and buy a single 32GB kit

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
are you getting out of memory errors?
have you changed size of page file?

minidump -
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

2 sets shouldn't cause out of memory errors.
Could cause BSOD though.

Jun 24, 2022
The most likely explanation for your problem is that you are using 2 different kits. And you have compatibility problems.
There a literally hundreds of posts with basically the same question on these forum.
Your best bet is to sell these kits, and buy a single 32GB kit

But ive also read most of the time using 2 different kits and same model is fine?? Like you said only people with problems would post on here and the other hundreds of peolle are running it fine?

Jun 24, 2022
are you getting out of memory errors?
have you changed size of page file?

minidump -
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
2 sets shouldn't cause out of memory errors.
Could cause BSOD though.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have changed the size of the page file. Tried both "managed" and custom where I used x1.5

Here is the link to the minidump

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak0eGuR6eUXMdvcqW-z9l-hNrY0?e=Mb9QRw

Jun 24, 2022
Ryzen systems can be picky about ram
running 4 sticks together that aren't part of the same set can cause odd errors. Were you getting them before you started using 2 sets?

I had BSOD when I first built the PC last year but updating the BIOS fixed the issue back then and no issues since. I read that ryzen can have issues with ram and mobo but I did check if they were compatible before purchasing

Jun 24, 2022
automatic normally best setting for page file.

I will ask a friend to check the dumps.

try running with just one set in and see if you still get errors.

If i use one set, wouldn't I run out of ram because it's 16gb and the game itself needs like 10~14gb? I want to be able to use chrome along with it and that will definitely go above 16gb?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You shouldn't run out of memory just cause a game is using a lot of space. it should use page file. Not ideal really. But better than out of memory errors.

Next time you run out of ram, show me a screenshot of the memory page on task manager

If you running out of memory, it could be a driver taking ram but not releasing it once its finished. Knowing how big your paged pool and non paged pool amounts are might offer a clue.

You have the same motherboard as I do. That doesn't help me guess what driver might be to blame.

If I establish its a memory leak, I show you a program to use to figure out cause.

much of time the cause can be LAN drivers, that board using Intel for both WIFI & Ethernet so try running this and see if it offers anything new - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Jun 24, 2022
You shouldn't run out of memory just cause a game is using a lot of space. it should use page file. Not ideal really. But better than out of memory errors.

Next time you run out of ram, show me a screenshot of the memory page on task manager

If you running out of memory, it could be a driver taking ram but not releasing it once its finished. Knowing how big your paged pool and non paged pool amounts are might offer a clue.

You have the same motherboard as I do. That doesn't help me guess what driver might be to blame.

If I establish its a memory leak, I show you a program to use to figure out cause.

much of time the cause can be LAN drivers, that board using Intel for both WIFI & Ethernet so try running this and see if it offers anything new - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

The problem is I can't replicate the problem because it doesn't happen every time. It happens time to time. Right now I've turned on the game and opened 20 chrome tabs and memory usage is at 19.6gb/31.9gb and its fine.

I'll take a screenshot when it does happen.

In the meantime I've updated the wifi driver using the intel software you recommended.

Colif

Win 11 Master
2 crashes caused Defender to crash, do you use WIFI or Ethernet?

if you used WIFI, its possible the driver update fixed it. your previous drivers were a little old
Sep 03 2019Netwtw04.sysIntel Wireless Wifi Link driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

you probably don't need the exitlag program and I seen Damon tools cause errors before
Apr 11 2018ndextlag.sys ExitLag Game Booster driver
Nov 12 2018dtlitescsibus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual SCSI Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)
Nov 26 2018dtliteusbbus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual USB Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)

not sure what 3rd crash caused by.
if you have the Gigabyte app centre installed, see if there is a newer version of any of the apps you have installed. I only had rgb fusion installed long enough to change the strips color.

DSzymborski

Titan
But ive also read most of the time using 2 different kits and same model is fine?? Like you said only people with problems would post on here and the other hundreds of peolle are running it fine?

Usually, but not all the time. And on a fundamental level, there's no such thing as a "same model" of RAM. There's no manufacturing line out there specifically trying to fabricate 3200 MHz RAM. It's basically just binned sticks that the company doesn't trust enough to be 3400 MHz RAM and too dependable to sell for the price of 3000 MHz RAM. It's not like, say, the model of a car. Toyota sets out to make a Toyota Corolla; Toyota Corollas aren't just Toyota Camrys that are too defective to be sold as Camrys.

Reactions: kimboy11
Jun 24, 2022
2 crashes caused Defender to crash, do you use WIFI or Ethernet?

if you used WIFI, its possible the driver update fixed it. your previous drivers were a little old
Sep 03 2019Netwtw04.sysIntel Wireless Wifi Link driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

you probably don't need the exitlag program and I seen Damon tools cause errors before
Apr 11 2018ndextlag.sysExitLag Game Booster driver
Nov 12 2018dtlitescsibus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual SCSI Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)
Nov 26 2018dtliteusbbus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual USB Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)

not sure what 3rd crash caused by.
if you have the Gigabyte app centre installed, see if there is a newer version of any of the apps you have installed. I only had rgb fusion installed long enough to change the strips color.

I currently use wifi. Ill uninstall all the programs youve mentioned. I use aorus engine to modify the rgb on the sticks. Ill uninstall that too for now. Thanks for the info.

If anything new comes up or dont run into the issue, ill let you know

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/x5swrqj0/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:062822-10046-01.dmp (Jun 27 2022 - 17:00:15)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: chrome.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 40 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
If you are using Rev 1.0 of the motherboard, there is a minor BIOS update available. You are using version F37a and the latest is F37c. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.