Running out of room

I have W2K server on a dell server.The operating system partition was set to
4MB many moons ago and after many MS security upgrades I now only have 600GB
space left.
I have tried Partition magic 8 and many similar types of software but all of
them are barred from resizing the operating system partition.
My set up is Dell server, 3 18GB scsi drives on a PERC quad Raid card FAST
software set up as RAID5 I have about 10MB of tantalisingly unallocated space
available which I would love to use for making the OS partition bigger.
Due to the demands on the server I only have one evening a week down time
available to make any adjustments.
Any help available Please

"leigh martin" <leighmartin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have W2K server on a dell server.The operating system partition was set
> 4MB many moons ago and after many MS security upgrades I now only have
600GB
> space left.
> I have tried Partition magic 8 and many similar types of software but all
of
> them are barred from resizing the operating system partition.
> My set up is Dell server, 3 18GB scsi drives on a PERC quad Raid card FAST
> software set up as RAID5 I have about 10MB of tantalisingly unallocated
space
> available which I would love to use for making the OS partition bigger.
> Due to the demands on the server I only have one evening a week down time
> available to make any adjustments.
> Any help available Please

I usually use Acronis Disk Director for this sort of thing.

My old version of PQMagic allowed me to make an
emergency recovery disk when installed on a workstation.
If I booted a server with a Win98 boot disk then I could
use this disk to resize any server partition. BTW, I think
the "MB"s and "GB"s in your post are a little strange.

Oops got my MBs & GBs round the wrong way very late last night sorry.

Firstly will it work with my W2K Server installation that is on a raid5 array?

Will Diskdirector enable me to resize the OS partition or does it work by
copying the OS partition to another larger partition and make it active.

Perhaps you might be good enough to sketch me a mental outline of how it
might work for me before I go and buy it.

Thankyou for your time

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "leigh martin" <leighmartin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have W2K server on a dell server.The operating system partition was set
> > 4MB many moons ago and after many MS security upgrades I now only have
> 600GB
> > space left.
> > I have tried Partition magic 8 and many similar types of software but all
> of
> > them are barred from resizing the operating system partition.
> > My set up is Dell server, 3 18GB scsi drives on a PERC quad Raid card FAST
> > software set up as RAID5 I have about 10MB of tantalisingly unallocated
> space
> > available which I would love to use for making the OS partition bigger.
> > Due to the demands on the server I only have one evening a week down time
> > available to make any adjustments.
> > Any help available Please
>
> I usually use Acronis Disk Director for this sort of thing.
>
> My old version of PQMagic allowed me to make an
> emergency recovery disk when installed on a workstation.
> If I booted a server with a Win98 boot disk then I could
> use this disk to resize any server partition. BTW, I think
> the "MB"s and "GB"s in your post are a little strange.

AFAIK, partition managers do not care if they deal with a single
disk or with a RAID array, because this is handled at a hardware
level.

DiskDirector works the same way as PQMagic:
1. It moves some files on drive D: out of the way.
2. It creates a new partition table for drive D:.
3. It creates a new partition table for drive C:.
4. It updates the Master Boot Record.

As with any major operation, you should back up your system
before starting the resizing effort.

In news:F2DB8040-1546-42AB-BF7C-48DF0631E19A@microsoft.com,
leigh martin <leighmartin@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I have W2K server on a dell server.The operating system partition was
> set to 4MB many moons ago and after many MS security upgrades I now
> only have 600GB space left.
> I have tried Partition magic 8 and many similar types of software but
> all of them are barred from resizing the operating system partition.
> My set up is Dell server, 3 18GB scsi drives on a PERC quad Raid card
> FAST software set up as RAID5 I have about 10MB of tantalisingly
> unallocated space available which I would love to use for making the
> OS partition bigger.
> Due to the demands on the server I only have one evening a week down
> time available to make any adjustments.
> Any help available Please

To add to this:

I myself am terribly nervous about using any sort of third party partition
management software on a server...you'd need ServerMagic, not
PartitionMagic, and I am not entirely certain that you'll be in a "supported
state" when you're done, even if all goes well. I'd be inclined to build
another temp server, move data to it, and then rebuild this one with a 12GB
system partition (my usual 'minimum' these days).

One thing that may buy you some time is to move the $NTUNINSTALL.... folders
you have in %systemroot% to another volume - they take up a ton of space,
but deleting them outright means you won't be able to uinstall any
updates/patches.

TRENDING THREADS