[SOLVED] running programs from a NAS/DAS

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
Can I install programs onto a NAS or like a DAS RAID array? I don't want to have to keep reinstalling all my programs after a reformat.

Does someone know if this is possible? I have doubts though because of how Windows handles programs. It won't have pointers to the NAS/DAS after a reformat and I don't know if it's possible to tell my Windows something like "hey, there are programs on this drive, integrate them please."

Solution
Can I install programs onto a NAS or like a DAS RAID array? I don't want to have to keep reinstalling all my programs after a reformat.

Does someone know if this is possible? I have doubts though because of how Windows handles programs. It won't have pointers to the NAS/DAS after a reformat and I don't know if it's possible to tell my Windows something like "hey, there are programs on this drive, integrate them please."
Most programs have to be reinstalled because the Windows registry is wiped. Nothing to do with where the installation is. That wouldn' change.

kanewolf

Titan

Most programs have to be reinstalled because the Windows registry is wiped. Nothing to do with where the installation is. That wouldn' change.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Yes and no.

Yes, you can install an application to a mapped drive letter that exists wherever.
No, that will not survive a Windows OS reinstall.

When you install something, Windows does not really care where it is.
A drive letter of "L" , being a mapped drive pointing to a folder on the NAS, will work just fine.

However...a new OS reinstall knows nothing about that. None of the Registry entries exist. And you cannot recreate them. It is no different than installing that application to a different drive letter to an internal drive on the PC, or anywhre else.

TRENDING THREADS