[SOLVED] Running RTX 2070 under the Wattage requirements?

May 9, 2020
Hi gents,

I just got an EVGA RTX 2070 XC. Best 2070 cards in the market IMO!

It says it requires at least 600 or 650 Watt.
I have a FSP RAIDER S550 550W 80PLUS Silver.
Upon plugging in everything goes smoothly. The card even goes way above its base clock (1800+ vs 1420 base), temps totally normal <70C.
Played half an hour of Warhammer 2 total war at max 1080HD no problem.

So my question is, is it safe to run the card with an "underpowered" PSU for a few months until I save enough for a new PSU? I already spent 900+ on the new build and if I can avoid spending extra that would be great, especially since everything is running smoothly.

I plug my system into https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator and it says I should be fine even with 450W.

The rest of my system:
Ryzen 5 3600X
8GB DDR4 x 2
2 x SSD

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Hi gents,

Upon plugging in everything goes smoothly. The card even goes way above its base clock (1800+ vs 1420 base), temps totally normal <70C.

So my question is, is it safe to run the card with an "underpowered" PSU for a few months until I save enough for a new PSU? I already spent 900+ on the new build and if I can avoid spending extra that would be great, especially since everything is running smoothly.

I plug my system into https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator and it says I...
Most people will tell you that it's a bad idea and I tend to agree.

Basically, by running your card with the PSU you have you are accepting the risk that you'll fry you PSU at some point and that it'll take your card with it. Whether that is a chance you are willing to take in the long term in order to save money on a new PSU in the short term is up to you.

Reactions: DalaranPhoenix
May 9, 2020
Most people will tell you that it's a bad idea and I tend to agree.

Basically, by running your card with the PSU you have you are accepting the risk that you'll fry you PSU at some point and that it'll take your card with it. Whether that is a chance you are willing to take in the long term in order to save money on a new PSU in the short term is up to you.

Wait, there's a chance that the PSU will fry ? I never heard about this. Doesn't Raider has in-built protection against these kinds of things?

Thanks man,

Different PSUs have differing levels and quality of protection depending on the platform it is built on, the brand, price etc. The best ones have the least chance of doing something like that when they are pushed beyond their limits. However, they are all designed to work within certain parameters. Exceed those parameters and you run increased risk.

May 9, 2020
Thanks, but why is the recommended wattage for GPU is so much higher than what the online power draw calculator estimate? Both newegg calculator and outervision estimates a much lower wattage requirements for my system.

Say I leave it like that for a few months should it be fine while I saved up some cash?

Thanks,

D

Deleted member 2720853

Thanks, but why is the recommended wattage for GPU is so much higher than what the online power draw calculator estimate? Both newegg calculator and outervision estimates a much lower wattage requirements for my system.

Say I leave it like that for a few months should it be fine while I saved up some cash?

Thanks,
Save up for a better PSU such as the Corsair CX 650M (2017 units -- gray "CX", not green). Read the first sentence in my signature.

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
Hi gents,

I plug my system into https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator and it says I should be fine even with 450W.

The rest of my system:
Ryzen 5 3600X
8GB DDR4 x 2
2 x SSD

Thanks!

The best way to understand how much watts your PC is using.
https://www.amazon.com/Poniie-PN1500-Electricity-Electrical-Consumption/dp/B07VPTN8FZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=25WH0M6CVJ8YV&dchild=1&keywords=watt+meter&qid=1593443416&sprefix=watt,aps,128&sr=8-5

It will help you understand how much PSU requirement needed..

GPU Manufacture always tend to give 150+ more wattage requirement, it because people uses Overclock feature, which would consume more wattage.

But if its stock, yes 450w can run GTX 2070.

L3fu3M9wrmYmnP7B67XqWJ-650-80.png

Reactions: DalaranPhoenix
Solution