Running Three Monitors on an AMD r9 280

Logan_43

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I'm trying to run a triple monitor setup on an AMD r9 280. The port on the back are one dvi, one hdmi and two mini displayports. For monitors, I have three Asus VX228h. These have two hdmi ports and one vga port. I connected them all. One with a dvi to hdmi, one with a hdmi cord, and one with a mini displayport to hdmi. With all three connected, the one attached to the dvi port does not receive a signal. If I disconnect one of the other monitors the dvi monitor does turn on so the port is working. What do I need to change to make this work?

Solution
Legacy has nothing to do with analog or digital. Legacy is vga, dvi, and hdmi. The rx 200 series only has 2 clock generators and dp uses a different external clock. This is why it only can do 2 legacy ports and all others must be on active dp. This has been the case since the hd 5000s all the way to rx 200s, although still similar to rx 300s and 400s which is just raised to 3 legacy. This is a well known cause of many multi-display issues for amd gpus for many many years now and should be something for you to keep in mind to continue with quality tech support. To be more exact though, not all of the 300s support 3 legacy so be careful.

That is a passive dp to hdmi cable so will not work. Either active adapter will solve your issue.
Sounds like the dvi shares a connection with mini DP. This isn't all that uncommon, or wasn't in the past.

I hate to suggest this, but i bet getting another DP to HDMI adapter and ditching the DVI would fix this.

What is your exact model of R9 280? We can look up these details.

DP to HDMI is digital to digital...

Well the card has DP++ and should be fine with passive adapters... But there are some funny things that can happen with DP++ and using a lot of monitors.

Might be worth trying an active adapter for the third DP to HDMI

Legacy has nothing to do with analog or digital. Legacy is vga, dvi, and hdmi. The rx 200 series only has 2 clock generators and dp uses a different external clock. This is why it only can do 2 legacy ports and all others must be on active dp. This has been the case since the hd 5000s all the way to rx 200s, although still similar to rx 300s and 400s which is just raised to 3 legacy. This is a well known cause of many multi-display issues for amd gpus for many many years now and should be something for you to keep in mind to continue with quality tech support. To be more exact though, not all of the 300s support 3 legacy so be careful.

That is a passive dp to hdmi cable so will not work. Either active adapter will solve your issue.

Solution

Logan_43

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Can I use an active mini dp to dvi connected to a dvi to hdmi cord or do I need to use an active mini dp to hdmi connected to a hdmi cord? If i do the first one then i only need to buy one more cord