Running too hot? R9 280x

calza

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
Just happily fitted my new MSI R9 280x Gaming (with the twin frozr cooling).

I know these are hot cards in general but mines idling around 40-45, and I done a quick furmark 1080p test and it just soared to 75 at which point I called it quits. Ambient is about 21.

It's on a mATX board so it is fairly close to my CPU heatsink but that's idling at 29 degrees so no real heatsoak form that. I also accept airflow is non existent in my case .. but I've currently got the side off.

Am I being paranoid or is this ok? Yet to try it in gaming..

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
75°C is more than fine for load temp--you're safe with anything 90-ish°C and under so don't worry. Also, Furmark is a terrible stress/benchmark...it makes your card run hotter than any real world application and has been known to fry a few cards. I'd uninstall that immediately and use Unigine Heaven or Valley to bench.

IRyannHD

Distinguished
Wait are you saying you have good airflow or bad airflow when you say non existent, a good airflow is necessary, and 75 is fine under load, you don't need to worry about temps as GPUs are made to run until around 100C before shutting down to save the components.

calza

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
I have no airflow! just the side panel removed and the 120mm on my cpu heatsink pushing out the back. ( a new case is on the cards next).

Tried some gaming and i see that it is lower than furmark. I also tried heaven and it got to 80, at which point I cancelled.

Suppose all is good though, just wish the idle was a bit cooler!

IRyannHD

Distinguished

Your whole temps will decrease, it can idle round 40/45 and it can perfectly function at 75 although I would just install one more exhaust if you can, what is your case?

calza

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
The reason there is no exhaust fan is because the cpu heatsink sits about 1.5" away from the rear of the case, with a huge fan chucking air out of that. So I figured putting an exhaust fan in there would just get in the way.

I plan to upgrade next month or so anyway - probably an R4.