[SOLVED] Running two Krakens....Where does the second krakens tach/pump header go?

Feb 16, 2021
I have an NZXT Kraken X52 running on my CPU with no problems however I am currently trying to install a second Kraken (an X53 via an NZXT G12) on my GPU. I am not sure where the tach/pump header should go for this second one and was curious how others have set this up. Google and Youtube have not yielded any answers yet.

Solution
curious how others have set this up.
My mobo(Asus Prime X299 Deluxe) has lots of headers and even came with a fan extension card.
Cpu: Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 360. All 3 fans are connected to the CPU_FAN header via the splitter that came with it.
Pump power/control is plugged into AIO_PUMP header.

Gpu: Also using the Kraken G12. The lone fan is plugged into the M.2_FAN header, the Fractal Celsius S36 is plugged into the W_PUMP+ header, with its 3 fans plugged into the fan extension card.
Having no fans/pump plugged into the gpu = slightly more power budget available to it, so it's a small bonus.

Ralston18

Titan
What do you expect to gain with two Krakens?

There may not be any installation guidance because a second Kraken may not necessarily be a supported configuration.

Look in the pump documentation.

I found the following link and did not note any references/diagrams that included a second Kraken per se.

https://nzxt-site-media.s3-us-west-...676/Kraken_X42X52X62X72-manual-092818-web.pdf

However if you google "dual Krakens" then there are other results.

For example:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/comments/gqoxcy/dual_krakens/

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Much of this depends on the PWM headers on your motherboard and whether they can be setup the way you want for control, although I am not sure whether CAM will support dual Krakens, but also don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

PWM headers should be fine for this - just need to set them accordingly for the pump header and fans. Seems basic enough for someone willing to go out of their way to install an AIO on their GPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
curious how others have set this up.
My mobo(Asus Prime X299 Deluxe) has lots of headers and even came with a fan extension card.
Cpu: Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 360. All 3 fans are connected to the CPU_FAN header via the splitter that came with it.

Gpu: Also using the Kraken G12. The lone fan is plugged into the M.2_FAN header, the Fractal Celsius S36 is plugged into the W_PUMP+ header, with its 3 fans plugged into the fan extension card.
Having no fans/pump plugged into the gpu = slightly more power budget available to it, so it's a small bonus.

Reactions: Adam0ne
Solution
Feb 16, 2021
What do you expect to gain with two Krakens?

There may not be any installation guidance because a second Kraken may not necessarily be a supported configuration.

Look in the pump documentation.

I found the following link and did not note any references/diagrams that included a second Kraken per se.

https://nzxt-site-media.s3-us-west-...676/Kraken_X42X52X62X72-manual-092818-web.pdf

However if you google "dual Krakens" then there are other results.

For example:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/comments/gqoxcy/dual_krakens/

I expect to gain separate CPU and GPU closed loop liquid cooling...specifically for noise abatement. My EVGA 2080 XC is extremely loud and constantly thermal throttles (idles at 55c, 83c at load). I removed my front panel for more airflow and installed some better case fans which helped a bit. My current case is running out of room so while doing this I am also changing cases (older S340?NZXT case to an NZXT h710i).

I specifically chose to use krakens as its easy to set the radiator fans and pump speed curves off the GPU temp for that second kraken via Cam software.

My problem is that the krakens each require a pump header....I do not believe it’s for power of the pump and is strictly to allow the mobo to know the pumps RPM. I’m also fairly confident that Cam supports multiple Krakens. What I’m not sure of is how people with two krakens are setting that second pump header. I still have plenty of free aio/pump headers available on my mobo, I’ll probably toss it on one of those and see what happens.

Feb 16, 2021

I have an ASUS Rog Strix z390, my CPU Kraken’s pump header is on CPU_Fan (as recommended by manufacturer), I think I’ll try tossing the GPU Kraken’s on the W_pump+ or AIO and see if it works. I have a fan hub so all the radiator fans are going there. This was helpful, thank you!

Reactions: Phaaze88
Feb 16, 2021
Much of this depends on the PWM headers on your motherboard and whether they can be setup the way you want for control, although I am not sure whether CAM will support dual Krakens, but also don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

PWM headers should be fine for this - just need to set them accordingly for the pump header and fans. Seems basic enough for someone willing to go out of their way to install an AIO on their GPU.

I guess my goal here is to know exactly what that headers purpose and function is because it has only two wires and NZXT implies that it is for rpm readings of the pump but does not definitively say. The pump has SATA power going into it too, so I wonder if that SATA is to power all that RGB and pump or just RGB. It’s been suggested on Reddit that it’s purpose is only so the system knows that it has CPU cooling and does not shut down. I’m going to toss the new one on another pump header and see what happens. I’m also curious where Cam gets it’s RPM info from (on board the kraken or from the mobo), and if it will give RPM info from a second Kraken at all.