Question Running two M.2 NVMe SSDs on a Gigabyte Z490 AORUS PRO AX ?

Feb 10, 2023
hey, guys, I need some help. If a New M.2 SSD running PCIe Gen 4 is installed into the M2A_SB socket, should I have access to the whole SATA bus? I know if I have an M.2 SSD in Socket M2M_SB I lose access to ports 4 and 5.

I just installed a 2nd M.2 SSD now, and it appears they are sharing bandwidth with SATA ports 2, 3 and 5. This means the new PCIE M2 is running SATA, not PCIE. I was under the impression if the M.2 was PCIE it would use the PCIE Bus, not the SATA Bus or an I wrong in my understanding?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
combining multiple sata connections makes the bandwidth of the pcie lanes. perfectly normal. the second slot is only x2 if i recall right.

looking at the manual, you shold not lose any sata ports with the first m.2 slot, but lose 4 and 5 with the second.

so if others ports are disabled, you need to look into why.

Feb 10, 2023
Guess I misunderstood. I was under the impression if the M.2 itself was PCIE it would use the PCIE and I would have access to Port 1, but I guess not. Unless there is a setting in the BIOS, I missed

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what are the drives you have installed?

as i said above, with 2 pcie drives you should only lose ports 4 and 5. a sata m.2 will lose port1 in the first slot.

so again, what are the models of the drives you have installed?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023
I have 6 drives in total:
I have 2x M.2
1 is PCIE the other is SATA
2 x 2.5" SSD running SATA
2 x Mech drive again running on SATA.

I have used Port 0, 2,3 I was under the impress Port 1 would still work but I have lost access to ports 1, 4,5

If it helps I am running a 10600K

Feb 10, 2023
Update - - - I have updated the BIOS to the latest version, and SATA Port 1 is still disabled so I guess I was wrong in my understanding of how the two M.2 sockets functioned alongside the SATA Ports.

Feb 10, 2023
I did. I did some testing If I disable port 1 in BIOS the NVME shows up, but the mech drive doesn't. If I re-enable Port 1, NVME is Disabled and Mech drive shows up

So It is obvious the M2A_SB is sharing bandwidth with the SATA even though the NVME is PCIe.

The only thing I think is happening my system still thinks my new drive is SATA M.2 even though it is NVME M.2

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023
The manual seems to indicate, "(Note) The M.2 connector is reserved only. No functionalities." but a bios update added functionality with 11th Gen CPU.

I could be totally wrong in my understanding thou

You could use M.2 sata drive via M.2 sata adapter.
That way it would take only a single sata port (not two).

sat32m225.main.jpg