Question Running two memory modules on separate channels

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello!

I've got a B85-HD3 motherboard with broken RAM slots on the left side. This means that two slots from each channel are dead and can't be used. Having a single stick just for testing on either slot on the left side causes the motherboard to power loop endlessly. I've tried multiple different sticks to no avail, so I don't think this is a user error. And I have tried a different CPU too just in case its the IMC but no luck. The pins on the socket are not bent.

I can use two memory sticks on separate channels as pictured below. What are the performance implications of that?
5MP0Xjq.png

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Single channel memory, but you would have all the capacity.

Not going to be as fast as dual channel kind of sort of doubles the bandwidth, but not really.

A lot will depend on what you are doing. For some games it will be a significant impact, probably bring your average low FPS numbers down a lot, when the system is capable you will probably still see the same highs. It will be less consistent essentially. Some games may not care at all.

For typical productivity tasks, capacity is often more important than bandwidth. But for more workstation like tasks of rendering, compiling, simulation, there will be an impact.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I have an old mobo where only two of the four DIMM scockets are working. Although memory is only running in single channel mode, it makes little difference to most desktop apps.

If you're running any programs that make full use of memory bandwidth, consider buying a new mobo. If not, continue using the old machine.