Running Win7-64 on a Northwood P4 3.2c(HT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Running Win7-64 on a P4 Northwood 3.2c(HT)

So ... If I have 4GB of PC3200 DDR and great cooling ... running at stock-clock (3.2GHz) and, if I have an AGP8X 7600GT Turbo (or better?) ... Will I be able to surf and run modest audio studio apps ???

IF ... I strip Win7-64 down to it's simplest "legacy/classic" type feature set (no fancy graphics/anim) ... no disk indexing ... none of the background funk ... Do you think it would be viable?

Wonder how it might bench against various ATOMs ?

I am currently running XPP/SP3 and watching all sorts of internet content at hi rez without choking .... With XP, this old box still runs slick ... What will "happen" if I try ANY version of Win7-64 ???

Thanks !,

= Alvin =

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

On April 14, 2003, Intel launched the new Pentium 4 HT processor. This processor used a 800 MHz FSB, was clocked at 3 GHz, and had Hyper-Threading Technology (which is what the HT moniker represents).[10] This was meant to help the Pentium 4 better compete with AMD's Opteron line of processors. However, when the Opteron was launched, due to its server-oriented positioning motherboard manufacturers did not initially build motherboards with AGP controllers. Because AGP was the primary graphics expansion port at the time, this missing feature prevented the Opteron from encroaching on the Pentium 4's market segment. With the launch of the Athlon XP 3200+, AMD boosted the Athlon XP's FSB speed from 333 MHz to 400 MHz, but it was not enough to hold off the new 3 GHz Pentium 4 HT.[11] The Pentium 4 HT's bandwidth levels were well out of reach for the Athlon, which would achieve the same bandwidth if its EV6 FSB was clocked to speeds unreachable at the time. 2.4 GHz, 2.6 GHz and 2.8 GHz variants were released on May 21, 2003. A 3.2 GHz variant was launched on June 23, 2003 and the final 3.4 GHz version arrived on February 2, 2004.

Solution
D

Itanium/Xeon. First Pentium was Prescott. The first Prescotts were the 5xx series. x64 was added in 6xx series. I had a 530 and my best friend had a 630. x64 support was the only difference ( bigger 2MB cache as well). Waste your time if you want but Windows 7 x64 is not going to work on your Northwood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64
G

You should definitely check to make sure that it has the 64 bit extensions by running something like cpu-z. It is my understanding that the first couple releases of the P4 didn't have the ability to run in 64bit environments, it wasn't until AMD came around with their Athlon 64's and dominated the performance / $ market that Intel invested any real amount of time into 64 bit technologies.

Id say if it has the capability I dont see why it wouldn't run any of the mill internet browsing, email reading and word processing applications well enough. Compared to an Atom processor, I'd probly put them neck and neck unless you are talkin about multicored Atoms. However the Atom will use a fraction of the power and in turn generate infinitely less noise and heat than the P4's.

Those are just my two copper pieces.

D

Deleted member 217926

No way that has 64 bit support. The first Pentium chips with x64 support were the LGA 775 6xx series.

D

Deleted member 217926

Itanium/Xeon. First Pentium was Prescott. The first Prescotts were the 5xx series. x64 was added in 6xx series. I had a 530 and my best friend had a 630. x64 support was the only difference ( bigger 2MB cache as well). Waste your time if you want but Windows 7 x64 is not going to work on your Northwood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Solution

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Yeah ... I just ran Microsoft's Win7 Upgrade Assessment tool ...

... It says I can run 32-Bit windows IF I re-install all apps and drivers.

Guess there's no point in having any more than 3GB RAM ...

Guess I'll limp on XP as long as any sort of support will allow.

It doesn't really matter what OS you install, with that all that out dated hardware, you are going to limp along anyway.

Well, you hit the nail on the head there. If it does what you need it to do, then it is perfect.
Thanks for coming back and pointing that out, touche'! Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.