running Win98 programs on XP Pro

I have a cd burner app. that ran on my Win98 machine that installs on my XP
Pro machine but doesn't run. It can't find the burner hardware and the app
is throwing out some various port errors. Is it just a matter of updating to
XP compatible drivers via the vendor website...which happens to be under
construction...or should I just invest in a new burner app? Many thanks.
--
Steve

If you post the name of the application you are having trouble with, the
exact error you are seeing and whether or not you upgraded to XP overtop of
Windows 98 without first uninstalling the problem application people might
have suggestions about what you can do with it . Check the problems section
at this site to see if there is a fix http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm
And also look at this article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q316529

Without info my suggestion is to uninstall the application - if you can -
and then install an XP compatible program.
This freeware CD Burning app is good, has no spyware and does most of what
Nero can do http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"stevehouston" <stevehouston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a cd burner app. that ran on my Win98 machine that installs on my XP
> Pro machine but doesn't run. It can't find the burner hardware and the
> app
> is throwing out some various port errors. Is it just a matter of updating
> XP compatible drivers via the vendor website...which happens to be under
> construction...or should I just invest in a new burner app? Many thanks.
> --
> Steve

I should also have offered this link
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129

--

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:47:02 -0700, stevehouston wrote:

> I have a cd burner app. that ran on my Win98 machine that installs on my XP
> Pro machine but doesn't run. It can't find the burner hardware and the app
> is throwing out some various port errors. Is it just a matter of updating to
> XP compatible drivers via the vendor website...which happens to be under
> construction...or should I just invest in a new burner app? Many thanks.

Suggest checking the website for your cd burning app. They may (or may not)
have an update for your program that would make it usable with XP. If they
do not have such a thing available, it's time to invest in a new burning
program or get acquainted with XP's built-in CD burning.

If you have an older burner, you will also want to check the hardware
manufacturer's website to find out if it's usable with XP.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Most 98 CD burning software is incompatible with XP. I had a similar
problem with Easy CD Creator, when I upgraded from 98 to XP. Fortunately
they offerred a patch. However, it was necessary to completely uninstall
their software, reinstall it, NOT reboot, add the patch, etc. Roxio, the
makers of Easy CD, gave me step-by-step instrcutions. This included some
registry editting during the removal phase. They now offer a program to do
the uninstalling for the user.

So, my advice is to uninstall the old program and get a newer one, or maybe
even use the one that comes with XP. That is limited compared to Easy CD or
Nero, but it can do some common CD writing tasks.