Question Running Windows 11 from external SSD

Aug 12, 2024
Hey! I have a laptop (HP Victus 16) currently running Windows 11 on its 512GB NVMe. As it only has one m.2 slot, what I want to do is install Linux Mint on the internal drive and use an external SSD (MX500 1TB in an enclosure) to run Windows 11 using USB 3.0. I want to use W11 for gaming and for game engines such as Unity and Unreal. Will this set up work or is is going to be slow for such demanding tasks? Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Hey! I have a laptop (HP Victus 16) currently running Windows 11 on its 512GB NVMe. As it only has one m.2 slot, what I want to do is install Linux Mint on the internal drive and use an external SSD (MX500 1TB in an enclosure) to run Windows 11 using USB 3.0. I want to use W11 for gaming and for game engines such as Unity and Unreal. Will this set up work or is is going to be slow for such demanding tasks? Thanks!
Linux will easily run from an external, Windows will not.

And even if you DO get Windows running from an external, your performance will be slow.

Does the laptop have a port for a SATA drive?

Aug 12, 2024
Linux will easily run from an external, Windows will not.

And even if you DO get Windows running from an external, your performance will be slow.

Does the laptop have a port for a SATA drive?
Thanks for the reply. Running Linux from an external drive was actually my initial plan. But as Linux would be my main OS, I thought it would be more convenient to do the opposite.

Unfortunately it only has one m.2 port. So I was planning on using something like this .

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the reply. Running Linux from an external drive was actually my initial plan. But as Linux would be my main OS, I thought it would be more convenient to do the opposite.

Unfortunately it only has one m.2 port. So I was planning on using something like this .
Well, it is what it is.
Windows running from an external is not only difficult to get going, but performance will tank. Especially in a gaming situation.