[SOLVED] "RuntimeBroker.exe" error during shutdown ?

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi All,

The pc is my sig was built in Dec 2019,earlier this year, late feb early march I had two BSODs, prior to this twice my pc did not recogonize my SSD in BIOS, which fixed itself by saving and exiting at the time. After the BSODs, I ran memtest, came clean, SSd health was fine and 3 weeks later, another BSOD and SSD not recogonized in BIOS, only this the SSD was dead.

During that time I also encountered some random "runtimebroker.exe", memory could not be referenced msg during shutdown which automatically closed in a split second and the pc shutdown without trouble.

Since I installed a new nvme SSD (previous one was sata) late March, everything's been fine, but suddenly today during shutdown the application popup window appeared for a second and pc shutdown. I must mention, only happened once, I've restarted and shutdown the pc multiple times since, no issues. Even back in March, it was random.

Event viewer is showing this :
Application popup: RuntimeBroker.exe - Application Error : The instruction at 0x00007FFECA36584E referenced memory at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program

I've since run sfc and DISM commands, sfc found some corruption and fixed. DISM found nothing.

Can someone help me narrow this down? I barely have anything in startup. only have nvidia services and mozilla running apart from microsoft. anyway, clean boot is not an option as this only happened randomly in the past, I presume it is the case again.

I'd imagine it is not a hardware issue this time, but how likely is it that it could be a hardware issue again ? I am a little worried.

Solution
not many results for "RuntimeBroker.exe" - Application Error "event id 26"

you could run process monitor and let it log all actions of runtime broker but I feel you get too much info, as its probably used a lot. it might show what it last interacted with on next startup.
just start it running before you turn pc off and check after you start again - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

I was talking to op, you can try same things.

Lutfij

Titan
You've posted the thread in the Windows 10 section so I must ask, what version of the OS are you currently on? Ideally you should be on version21H1. As for your PC's specs, please find it in your heart to list the specs to your build in the body of your thread since sig space specs can and will change over time. When that happens, any solution given in this thread will be moot to the person in the same boat as you're in now.

With that out of the way, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? How old is the PSU in your build?

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
You've posted the thread in the Windows 10 section so I must ask, what version of the OS are you currently on? Ideally you should be on version21H1. As for your PC's specs, please find it in your heart to list the specs to your build in the body of your thread since sig space specs can and will change over time. When that happens, any solution given in this thread will be moot to the person in the same boat as you're in now.

With that out of the way, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? How old is the PSU in your build?
Hi,

Thank you for the response, please find my current pc specs.

OS ; Windows 10 21h1
Ryzen 5 3600x
MSI Tomahawk b450 max
2 x 8 Corsair vengence 3000 mhz, (xmp enabled)
Gigabyte windforce oc 1660 ti 6GB
WD SN550 nvme ssd 1 TB
Cooler Master MWE 550 v2 80 + bronze

No component is more than a 1 and half old, SSD is 2 months old.

, BIOS is 7C02v39 , there have been 2 BIOS updates since, must note the previous time this happened, I was on another BIOS version in March 2021, there have been two BIOS updates since. Windows is on v21h1, just got the update few days ago.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Colif

Win 11 Master
what is the event ID of the event in the viewer?

is it an ongoing error? is it actually causing any problems as often events show there once, but work every other time.

As I said, I sometimes get programs showing up there at shutdown, and way I avoid it for most part is reducing the number of startup programs. I find if I leave steam open and shut PC, it will stop shutdown for a few seconds and then close it. Its been ongoing for last 2 versions of windows 10. I had hoped 21H1 would fix it. It doesn't happen every shutdown. I don't really think its worth wiping windows just to fix something i only do when i have finished using pc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
RuntimeBroker.exe gets triggered by Universal apps, and if the process ends, all currently open apps will immediately fully close.

So what does it do? Well, the Runtime Broker handles checking if an app is declaring all of its permissions (like accessing your Photos) and informing the user whether or not it’s being allowed.

its possible running windows store and clicking 3 little dots (top right) and choose update, see if any new updates for apps.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
what is the event ID of the event in the viewer?

is it an ongoing error? is it actually causing any problems as often events show there once, but work every other time.

As I said, I sometimes get programs showing up there at shutdown, and way I avoid it for most part is reducing the number of startup programs. I find if I leave steam open and shut PC, it will stop shutdown for a few seconds and then close it. Its been ongoing for last 2 versions of windows 10. I had hoped 21H1 would fix it. It doesn't happen every shutdown. I don't really think its worth wiping windows just to fix something i only do when i have finished using pc.

No, it has not caused any problems, just once it came up, again when shutting down, just a flash. event when it happened with the old SSD back in Feb it only happened during shutdown, it does not really affect anything I am doing, I am of the same mindset myself, do not want to reinstall Windows for something this trivial. It only really happens once is a while, the last time running windows store troubleshooter solved the issue until my ssd died on me.

I am just wondering if this is sign of the new SSD failing as well, we are in strict lockdown here, there is no way to replace at this time if something goes wrong. I've still not rma's the last one, a crucial mx500 1tb sata, it has to be sent to US. And I have very minimal startup items, I mostly close all my apps before shutting down the PC. Perhaps, it was some app I left running when shutting down. these cryptic windows pop ups are annoying, giving us nowhere to look.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

its possible running windows store and clicking 3 little dots (top right) and choose update, see if any new updates for apps.

Just checked for updates, everything was up to date,

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wouldn't worry about it. it isn't like its at startup. Shutdown takes a little longer? oh well.

I don't know how you fix it. SFC/DISM don't do it, removing all programs that load at startup seems to keep it at bay on my pc. I did that once and had it to stage it was stopping on a process that I identified as Windows Explorer, windows itself was stopping shutdown... so I sort of gave up at that point and added more. It seemed to happen less often as windows updated came out.

I hope its not a sign of a dying ssd since I get it too. Its been like it on & off since I updated to 20H2. And my NVME is only 10 months old (it doesn't feel that old).

I did look into it but didn't find a clear answer. Its been a problem with win 10 for a while, just not big enough to get fixed. Not always runtime broker, i have had steam cause it.

Next time I see a program at shutdown stalling, I will look in event viewer next day and see if I can see anything. Its possible we don't have same problem. i can't recall runtime broker showing

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
This is a very generic event that can be the result of failure of a large variety of applications. In implies that an application failed while the user was logged in, using the system and that a warning message “popped-up” on the screen with the same information as in the event description. The event is recorded in addition to the pop-up error message.
When looking for solutions for this problem look at the application that is mentioned in the event and only try to suggestions that are related to that particular one.
The fact that a certain “instruction” at a certain memory location was the one causing the problem is useless for troubleshooting purposes (unless you are a highly specialized programmer with the right tools and able to replicate the problem at will).
http://www.eventid.net/display-eventid-26-source-Application+Popup-eventno-1815-phase-1.htm

thomasgreco0499

Commendable
May 19, 2019
I just had this same exact event log info entry on a shutdown. There are no problems with my pc otherwise. Not exactly sure why the error message popped up and closed. I also just installed 21H1. Perhaps it is a bug on shutdown.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't get an error, it happened last night... i just get a random application stopping shutdown, last night it was Application Manager which is Windows . So I thought, I will look at event viewer in morning and it was just now seeing this I remembered. Only event at time of shutdown was event 10002 which is my wireless disconnecting and I might have to look into that as it seems to happen a lot. looks like mine could be the WIFI drivers. I got new WIFI drivers yesterday so that could have set it off too.

21H1 is only 2 weeks old, so could be a teething issue. See if its fixed next month with a patch. I noticed whatever causes mine seemed to stop happening after a patch last version. Or at least, it didn't happen as often.

Colif

Win 11 Master
not many results for "RuntimeBroker.exe" - Application Error "event id 26"

you could run process monitor and let it log all actions of runtime broker but I feel you get too much info, as its probably used a lot. it might show what it last interacted with on next startup.
just start it running before you turn pc off and check after you start again - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

I was talking to op, you can try same things.

Solution