[SOLVED] Rural Broadband 4G

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantmcscott

Prominent
Sep 24, 2019
Hi
I am moving to a rural location with poor mobile signal where the house is in a valley. At the top of the valley there is a good 4G signal. I am planning on installing LTE Antenna and point to point wifi to the house.

Not sure what router / modem to use to connect to the LTE Antenna as it will be outdoors and also I need to power the equipment somehow as there is no power at the location and about 1 mile from the house.

Is there any samples of solutions that people have put in

Solution
The LTE equipment is going to be kinda hard to get. Partially you need something the ISP will activate. You could for example import huawei equipment from china and the ISP will not let you use it...this was before all ban crap going on. Your goal is to find a router or modem that has external antenna connectors. Best if it has a external ac/dc power adapter if you plan to run on battery.

You will need antenna tuned to the frequencies they use on that tower. There are antenna that cover large ranges but a custom tuned one works best. There are a couple companies you can find that sell them.

The bad news is in the USA using antenna is in the grey area of the law. What it says is you can use them as long as the provider...

kanewolf

Titan
If there is no power, then you will have to use solar and batteries. Remote monitoring of your power infrastructure needs to be considered (via your point to point WIFI link). You need to think about building a structure to house this infrastructure. You can then use a POE switch to power your network hardware. Look at the Ubiquiti AirMax and EdgeMax products. The AirMax products provide your point-to-point and the EdgeMax will provide a router and switch.

The LTE equipment is going to be kinda hard to get. Partially you need something the ISP will activate. You could for example import huawei equipment from china and the ISP will not let you use it...this was before all ban crap going on. Your goal is to find a router or modem that has external antenna connectors. Best if it has a external ac/dc power adapter if you plan to run on battery.

You will need antenna tuned to the frequencies they use on that tower. There are antenna that cover large ranges but a custom tuned one works best. There are a couple companies you can find that sell them.

The bad news is in the USA using antenna is in the grey area of the law. What it says is you can use them as long as the provider authorizes it. The provider is then responsible that all transmission conform to their license.
Needless to say you will never be give the paperwork you need to prove you have this exemption.

Generally they never enforce the law unless someone complains but it makes it much harder to find equipment

Solution
May 17, 2019
I used a Yeacomm YF-P11K 4G CPE WIFI KIT outdoor LTE CPE and indoor WIFI AP from Yifan Industry Co., Ltd, powered through a WIFI router via PoE. I'm using the WIFI router as WISP bridge together with another router in front of my house and connected to the PC via LAN. As the WIFI router provided in that kit isn't an outdoor one, I placed it in a small plastic cabinet used for power supply. You may need to connect the LTE CPE to a more powerful router, but this is far beyond my humble green pea's knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.