rural wifi extension

We have a studio about 300 yards from the nearest wifi access point or
network connection and would like to bring broadband out to it. Line
of sight is obscured by a tree line. Could a wifi repeater help so we
could go around the trees through a nearby field?

I would appreciate any suggestions on where to start researching.

Steve

Steve Knoblock <knoblock@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message news:<4tmqm0tqflir4jgh8n5ga1n7hnp8ibt9fu@4ax.com>...
> We have a studio about 300 yards from the nearest wifi access point or
> network connection and would like to bring broadband out to it. Line
> of sight is obscured by a tree line. Could a wifi repeater help so we
> could go around the trees through a nearby field?
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions on where to start researching.
>
> Steve

Depends upon your tree line...

Go here: http://www.terraserver-usa.com

Find your location and give us a link to the overhead picture. This
will let us look at your "tree line".

Trees can be a killer.

Would a moonlit night and a chain saw help?

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Michael Erskine" <osiris@deltaville.net> wrote in message
> Steve Knoblock <knoblock@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
>> We have a studio about 300 yards from the nearest wifi access point or
>> network connection and would like to bring broadband out to it. Line
>> of sight is obscured by a tree line. Could a wifi repeater help so we
>> could go around the trees through a nearby field?
>>
>> I would appreciate any suggestions on where to start researching.
>>
>> Steve
>
> Depends upon your tree line...
>
> Go here: http://www.terraserver-usa.com
>
> Find your location and give us a link to the overhead picture. This
> will let us look at your "tree line".
>
> Trees can be a killer.

---

A directional antenna should help you to break through the tree line.

"Steve Knoblock" <knoblock@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
> We have a studio about 300 yards from the nearest wifi access point or
> network connection and would like to bring broadband out to it. Line
> of sight is obscured by a tree line. Could a wifi repeater help so we
> could go around the trees through a nearby field?
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions on where to start researching.
>
> Steve

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Good luck with anything that uses 2.4Ghz (802.11b, etc). I strongly
recommend 900MHz.

Jeremy

In article <ckju3l$pvc$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>,
Sybrand Strauss <sybrand2004_at_alienoverlords_dot_co_dot_za@ignorethis.com> top-posted:

:"Steve Knoblock" <knoblock@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
:news:4tmqm0tqflir4jgh8n5ga1n7hnp8ibt9fu@4ax.com...
:> We have a studio about 300 yards from the nearest wifi access point or
:> network connection and would like to bring broadband out to it. Line
:> of sight is obscured by a tree line. Could a wifi repeater help so we
:> could go around the trees through a nearby field?

:A directional antenna should help you to break through the tree line.

Directional antenna can -help- but if the tree line is thick (and
it doesn't take that much) then even a very directional antenna isn't
going to be able to get enough signal through.

The wifi repeater suggested by the OP is one possibility. Another
possibility is to mount antenna high enough to get a signal -over- the
trees (but watch out for the Freznel zone.] A third possibility
that might work considering the relatively short distance, would be to
use a very simple unpowered signal reflector near the edge of the field and
aim the antenna at the reflector.
typewriters, and Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare. -- Blair Houghton.

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bob Alston wrote:
> Would a moonlit night and a chain saw help?

A Stihl signal booster has sure come in handy for me on occasion.

"Steve Knoblock" <knoblock@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
> We have a studio about 300 yards from the nearest wifi access point or
> network connection and would like to bring broadband out to it. Line
> of sight is obscured by a tree line. Could a wifi repeater help so we
> could go around the trees through a nearby field?
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions on where to start researching.
>
> Steve

300 yards is not a long distance for a 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g signal. If you
can't get a clear, unobstructed shot through the trees, then you can use a
repeater in the middle. The biggest problem with using a repeater is
electricity - there never seems to be an AC outlet close enough, and the
power source has to be weatherproof. Any equipment mounted outside must
weather sealed, including the cable connections. You'll need to check the
weatherproofing periodically.

You would need to position the repeater where each end has a clear,
unobstructed line of sight to it. Mount the antennas as high off the ground
as possible - what Walter Roberson said about the Fresnel zone is absolutely
right. You don't want the signal to skim low along the ground. There has to
be plenty of clearance above, below and alongside the main line of site
between the antennas. The longer the distance between antennas, the more
clearance needed. There's a formula for calculating it but I don't have it
handy.

The repeater would need either an omnidirectional antenna or a directional
with a wide enough coverage field to cover each end. At the far ends use
directional antennas with the highest gain you can find. Aim the antennas
the best you possibly can.

If you go ahead with this please make a post here to let us know how you
made out.

Larry

> "Steve Knoblock" <knoblock@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
>> We have a studio about 300 yards from the nearest wifi access point or
>> network connection and would like to bring broadband out to it. Line
>> of sight is obscured by a tree line. Could a wifi repeater help so we
>> could go around the trees through a nearby field?
>>
>> I would appreciate any suggestions on where to start researching.
>>
>> Steve

Here's a link to an article about repeaters. There are also other tutorials
on the site that should help you.
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1571601

Larry