Russian Competition Advocates Open Antitrust Case Against Google

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google claims that it isn't pushing competitors out of Android, stating that the user always has "complete control" in terms of which apps are on their devices.
This is certainly disingenuous, if it isn't an outright lie, as third parties (e.g. mobile providers) may make the bulk of the decisions, not users. For users, rooting is generally required, which, even if possible, may void warranties and prevent updates.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Yandex: We'd love to do what Google does but we can't so we pretend to be good ones and grab some cash! Pleeeease.

"Google search is the default search engine on Android"
No sh*t Sherlock. But Google doesn't control the defaults on devices other than Nexus. If Yandex wants to be more popular they need to speak to companies that ship default Google browser not Google itself.

Android is OSS unlike Windows and Google has no control on mobile manufactories(atleast on paper) so the problem lies within a bad Yandex head managers, nothing else.

That is a good point. It is not Google's fault (assuming absence of payola) if the device-makers do not put Yandex (or other non-Google software) on their products.
My issue was only with the statement that users get to choose; no, not really, unless they are technically astute and don't mind killing their warranties and software updates. That too is not necessarily Google's fault, but you'd think they'd know that's how it is.

scififone

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Google apps can be easily disabled on any phone that I've had. If they aren't it is not Google's fault certain manufactures make it impossible to disable apps.

er0shima

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
this is like saying: I'm going to mcdonalds but I want a KFC meal with extra fries.
For crying out loud....... -___-' ....

payne4evr

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
russia can't really produce a smartphone.. so they should use what they have.. drop android and hold a pierogi to your ear and talk.. onlookers won't be surprised.. that's about what they amount to as a society over there. either complain complain... or duhhhh.....

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Sounds eerily familiar. Anybody remember the antitrust cases against Microsoft 17 years ago? They could even impose the same solution -- require Android to present a search engine choice the first time the user starts their device.

Zaza101

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
This sounds oddly familiar... Remember when the courts ruled that including IE with Windows was anti competitive and forced Microsoft to give users a choice of browsers?

Pretty much the same deal here but with the default search engine...

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
to agnickolov, Zaza101, Alec Mowat
Not even close to be similar, read my reply at the start. And no its not just about search engine don't be naive.

wishhound

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Yandex just a loosers, controlled by fss. Search is incredibly poor, results are worthless, large number of infected web-sites. They are no challengers for Google, that's why they scared to lost market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS