News Russian Government's New Semiconductor Plan: Local 28nm by 2030

Status
Not open for further replies.
i mean...short term? doubtful given sanctions & if putin does go nuclear the world will invade to stop him & that will push back that goal at least a decade.

also i am actually shocked they are still on such a large node in 2022 ;o..

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Setting a goal to be 20 years behind everyone else seems reasonable, depending on your definition of reasonable.

Their economic outlook has been set that far behind as well, and given the track record of internal.....strife, it doesn't look very promising that they will make good on those goals. .

Reactions: bp_968

demonicus

Commendable
Dec 7, 2020
Maybe its a 90mn by then but dont forget there is other technologies they may have created something that coincides that gives it like a 500% boost its possible they prob have a technology that makes it some sort of equivalent. Its been done like some sort of booster in the past.... helll einstein etc there is technologies out there they may know that we dont 90nm for all we know means nothing if they have some sort of booster expander addon whatever u wanna call it...some of the smartest people in the world ever worked on pc's there

I will add to the warning above. Keep politics and other non relevant comments out of here or this comment section will be closed and the violators sanctioned as necessary. This is the last warning that will be issued.

USAFRet

Titan
How dare you suggest, that politics are not relevant?
This place...Tom's Hardware..is not the place for "political discussion".
This is a tech forum.

The topic of this particular thread is simply about a semiconductor plan and design.
Has nothing to do with Putin, Ukraine, Russian politics, presidents.

If you wish to discuss "politics", please do it elsewhere.

Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
When the vast majority of all social interactions are done in the Internet, how can the Internet not be political?

The very notion that you can separate technology and politics is asinine.
Sometimes, people would like to discuss tech concepts, without political crap slinging every single time.

This Forum is one of those places.

There is no end of other places you can discuss this.
Just please...not in here.
OK?

Metteec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
It will be quite an accomplishment for Russia to go from 90nm to 28nm for $38B. Intel has a cooperative agreement with Ohio to invest $100B to create fabs that will go from 14nm to 2nm, and I can easily see cost overruns for that project. I think Russia might be understating the cost.

Reactions: thisisaname
Status
Not open for further replies.