News Russian Newspaper Reports 40% Failure Rate for Chinese Microchips

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I just love to here this. But it won't be much longer for failure rates to drop to acceptable levels. I just read the feds are looking into cheap lithium batteries being sold as legit.

InvalidError

Titan
So I guess China isn't sending its substandard chips to landfills anymore. With allies like this, who needs enemies!
If you have seen some of those reviews of oddball Chinese motherboards, second-hand chips and other components seems to be a significant business in China. I wouldn't be too surprised if many of those bad chips happen to be scavenged from e-waste.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
This "grey market" semiconductor shipments to Russia from China MAY be one of the root causes of the draconian US semiconductor sanctions against China. No one says as much, but the timing seems about right.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Russia newspaper reports 40% failure rate of Chinese microchips" - Tomshardware headline
"40% of Chinese semiconductor imported into Russia now fail" - actual headline

BIG difference.

It's a shame the Toms resorts to more truthiness than a Russian newspaper.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
"Russia newspaper reports 40% failure rate of Chinese microchips" - Tomshardware headline
"40% of Chinese semiconductor imported into Russia now fail" - actual headline

BIG difference.

It's a shame the Toms resorts to more truthiness than a Russian newspaper.
Lol. The original headline can be interpreted very differently indeed.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
This paragraph in the article says it all:

Kommersant -- which means The Businessman -- claims that sanctions have led to major import businesses abandoning Russia, leaving manufacturers there with no choice but to use unauthorized suppliers whose customer service perhaps leaves something to be desired compared to official channels. The Russian firms also have a lack of experience in checking out both suppliers and products before placing a large order.

Its quite obvious if you are using "grey market" supplies such things will happen....

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
If you have seen some of those reviews of oddball Chinese motherboards, second-hand chips and other components seems to be a significant business in China. I wouldn't be too surprised if many of those bad chips happen to be scavenged from e-waste.

Yup, if you are getting your goods from these small no-name manufacturers, expect problems....

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Anyway, I didn't know Tomshardware now resorts to such "news"..... Extremely misleading titles....ITs becoming a tabloid now..

This has to do with companies dealing with "grey sources" rather than actual chip manufacturing....

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
Anyway, I didn't know Tomshardware now resorts to such "news"..... Extremely misleading titles....ITs becoming a tabloid now..

This has to do with companies dealing with "grey sources" rather than actual chip manufacturing....

I respectfully disagree. It's very interesting to learn about source-dependent variations in chip quality. Many people - outside Russia - use to purchase computer parts, GPUs, CPUs etc from questionable sources in order to save money. This report demonstrates the risk levels associated with leaving legit retail sources.

Reactions: King_V

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I respectfully disagree. It's very interesting to learn about source-dependent variations in chip quality. Many people - outside Russia - use to purchase computer parts, GPUs, CPUs etc from questionable sources in order to save money. This report demonstrates the risk levels associated with leaving legit retail sources.

Interesting?? This is plain common sense and it applies to more than just chips. Getting your goods from reputable vendors is very important. You just go to online and see how many fake products out there.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Anyway, this website doesn't allow us to talk about politics, only hardware, so don't talk about politics in your article. The paragraph below has abolustely nothing to do with computer hardware. China's views/stand on Ukraine war has nothing to do with computer hardware too... its politics.

February this year saw Russian premier Vladimir Putin and Chinese president Xi Jinping declare their countries had a ‘friendship without limits’ with ‘no forbidden areas’ for cooperation. Beijing has, however, made it clear(opens in new tab) (using extremely diplomatic language) that it disapproves of Russian hostilities toward Ukraine, calling on Putin to pursue negotiations and abstaining from a UN resolution condemning the attack rather than voting against it.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
Yes, let's all whish for total nuclear annihilation...because of hardware failure.
What a great thing to say.

Obviously, the quote expressed the author's hope that failing chips would not allow nuclear weapons to work as intended, and prevent them from destroying any targets.
Just like faulty CPUs in the computers of criminal hackers would prevent the entire computer from working instead of making it an even more dangerous super-villain-pc.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
Interesting?? This is plain common sense and it applies to more than just chips. Getting your goods from reputable vendors is very important. You just go to online and see how many fake products out there.

If it was common sense, wish dot com wouldn't have generated 2.1 billion USD in revenues 2021.

D

Deleted member 14196

Anyway, this website doesn't allow us to talk about politics, only hardware, so don't talk about politics in your article. The paragraph below has abolustely nothing to do with computer hardware. China's views/stand on Ukraine war has nothing to do with computer hardware too... its politics.

February this year saw Russian premier Vladimir Putin and Chinese president Xi Jinping declare their countries had a ‘friendship without limits’ with ‘no forbidden areas’ for cooperation. Beijing has, however, made it clear(opens in new tab) (using extremely diplomatic language) that it disapproves of Russian hostilities toward Ukraine, calling on Putin to pursue negotiations and abstaining from a UN resolution condemning the attack rather than voting against it.
Yes. I love the double standards. They can be all political but we can’t. THIS NEEDS TO STOP ADMINS!!!! Stop posting political material

Reactions: Support_Lemon
Status
Not open for further replies.