RV630XT, RV630 & RV610 Spotted

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Keep in mind that its not just the 128 bit interface, but the GDDR4 as well.
Yeah, but lets say 2.0GHz GDDR4 over a 128-bit bus vs. 1.55GHz GDDR3 over a 256 -bit bus. Obvious advantage in mem bandwidth to the X1900XTX. The 7600GT did impress, Just saying it's alot to overcome having half the bus, and the X1900XTX sure ain't a X850XT.
Yes but the r630 and r600 in all flavors are supposed to have 64 shaders, which makes the equation even more incalculable.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I believe I read something about the newer gddr4 having much lower latencies... but then again it was the inq.

Nah darkstar is right, the ones shiping now have higher latencies, but they are not a factor of just GDDR4 itself, but of the modles used and the speeds they are running at.

One of the other advantages of GDDR4 is slightly lower power consumption, which is nice for laptops, but like I said I'd prefer slower/wider memory that uses less power overall.

Oh yes, if we do see some 2GHz/4GHz chips on a card I'll be worshiping at the GDDR4 altar, and latencies be damned :) it just seemed that the 1GHz/2GHz chips we saw were being marketed as better because of the "4" rather than their pretty marginal clockspeed advantage.

You are correct about the lower power consumption, but the cards likely to use GDDR4 right now are high end parts with GPUs that consume stupid amounts of power, meaning the RAM is barely a factor :/

The Laptops that are likely to have it are also the "Desktop replacement" kind that is more of a portable desktop than a laptop, and will usually be used near a power source.

Still, lower power is never a bad thing :)