RX 460 4gb/ RX 580 8gb - Screen Freeze, Black Screen, Lost Signal - In desperate need of Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_alin2010

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018
First of all - My PC:
CPU: FX8300 - 3.3Ghz - OC at 4Ghz
CPU Cooler: Noctua ( Don't remember the exact name of it- one of those big ones with 2 fans)
Motherboard: Gigabyte FX990 UD3
Ram: Corsair 2x4GB 1333Mhz
PSU: Thermaltake 530w Gold - Semi-Modular
GPU: Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB that replaced an Asus Rog Strix RX460 4GB OC
Storage: 1x 60gb Kingston SSD for Operating system, 1x 480gb Adata SSD for Steam, 1x 500gb WD HDD for Misc Storage
Monitor: LG 27inch 75hz Freesync Gaming Monitor - Connection via HDMI Cable

The Problem:
Well, I've seen this problem on countless threads and posts on all sites, but i never found a clear solution for it, what worked for some doesn't work for me and others, and I am hoping that maybe someone can help me here. So...lets get to it, it all started when I changed my Asus r9 270 2gb with the Asus rx460 4gb(Second Hand), normal games that i used to play then where CS-GO and LOL and i was getting black screens at random times, sometimes the game would work for hours with no problem,at first it didn't bother me very much because it happened only in games and after a PC restart the game would work with no issues, but after a while it started getting worse and worse, black screens started popping up on Idle during movies and web browsing, at some point it became impossible to do anything on my PC. I read some fixes and solutions on the internet at that time and all where pointing towards the PSu ( i had a No-Name No-Brand dodgy Chinese 600w supply-it was heavy as a brick so i dont think it was that bad) but anyways i decided to buy a new PSu (the one i have now). After i installed the new PSu i also did a change from win 8.1 to win 10 and then i realized that the PC worked fine untill i instaled the AMD driver - then the black screens started again only this time after every black screen i was getting the clasic "Display driver has stopped working but has recovered" error. I try fixing this but never got a solution for it i even changed my motherboard and CPU to the ones i have now but the problem still persisted.

So in the end i decided to change the RX 460 GPU ( i thought that because i bought it second hand it was already broken). So i bought a brand new RX580. Installed the new GPU and everything was perfect. Installed the drivers and ran Firestrike Benchmark and got 120+ fps in Skydiver test and 60+ fps in Time Spy ( want to mention here that with the RX460 i couldn't even run the tests because of the black screens). So i thought: YES! Finally! That was the problem. Until a few days ago when i played the The Witcher 2 AoK, I started getting a few black screens at random during my game but this black screens wouldn't crash my game like the first ones but instead after the 3rd or 4th black screen my monitor would show me "No Signal" even though i can hear the game working in the background(and it can only recover with a hard reset).

So in short, I think the issue is from the AMD drivers.

What i tried:

-Installed only the Basic Driver without Wattman.
-Installed MSI Afterburner and Underclocked the GPu
-Changed Tdr Delay in the Registry
-Changed Diplay settings in the driver to Full Panel
-Set Power Limit to +50% in both Wattman and MSI AB
-Changed my Cable to DVI and DP
-Installed the AMD driver from Windows Update Manager
-Ran the games on Medium and even Low
-Installed different versions of the AMD Driver and still didn't work
-Changed to default CPU settings, so it was not an unstable OC situation.
-Changed windows power setting to Best Performance
-Disabled Steam IN-Game Interface

Until now, the best solution i found was the one in which i removed every amd driver and file via DDU software in Safe Mode and let the windows update install the display driver. But i am still getting a black screen from time to time but they are not as but as the ones before, because they dont crash my game or the display driver, but after a few of these black screens i get the NO SIGNAL monitor thing and it bugs the hell out of me.

Does anybody know any other solutions or what can i do?

PS: Planing to change my CPU to Ryzen but it will take a while to get the money, so untill i will get a new CPU, Rams and MOBO this will be my setup for some months, i know for certain that my PC in its curent state can run most AAA games of 2018 and 2017 on High/Ultra Settings at Fullhd +50 fps but this black screen thing is very annoying.

Solution

alex_alin2010

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018

So you think this is a MOBO problem?

alex_alin2010

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018

OK....i think i have one of those small fans laying around...will do that and i will also add a couple of 120mm fans on my case to change the airflow a bit front&side IN with back&top OUT - I only have front IN & back OUT....And also the cooler on the amd cpu has a strange position and throws hot air all over the place.

Will try your advice and will return with an update.

alex_alin2010

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018

MORE INFO:

Last night i managed to squeeze in a few hours of The Witcher 2 after work, all was butter smooth at 1080p 75fps Max settings ( NO ubersampling and NO In-game V-sync) for around 2hours (i ran hwmonitor in the background to see my temp report after the game) but the monitor goes in black screen mode with the no signal msg appearing( i can hear the game in the background running) and after i restart the PC all my settings in Wattman are switched back to default.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Seems to be incredible, but you wont believe how much a pc will increase performance thanks to a proper cooling.

Also, don't you people find weird the fact that a brand new card have to be tweaked to work fine and when it does this moment of hapyiness only last minutes or maybe a pair of hours?

Are this cards doomed or what?

alex_alin2010

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018
Yeah....i remembered when i bought the r9 270,wasn.t the best of the series but bought it at o good price...just plugged it in, new driver and played for hours and hours.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
The r9 are good cards, right?. I hate AMD cards probably because when I bought AMD cards and RMA them because they performed like shit I did not jump to a r9 instead of waiting and buying a rx finding myself again with a GPU unable to run Doom at 1024x768 in low settings 4:3... 140€ wasted, frustrating!!

alex_alin2010

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018

Don't want to jinx it or something, but i think it worked. Cleaned my PC, and changed the direction of the fans in a way that cold air will flow on the mobo at all times, also i put the GPU on the second x16 slot that this mobo has to leave the center area more exposed to side panel fan...clean driver install with DDU....25% power limit in wattman. 10 hours of heaven benchmark while i was at work and i returned home to find my pc still running...with no black screens or crashes. Let's hope it will stay this way.

Sep 6, 2018
I'm a RX 480 MSI Gaming X 8GB user myself, and I went through the same issue for almost one year. Bought a new PSU aswell thinking it would fix it. It didn't. Also had to decrease my GPU settings to pathetic values to be able to play, just like you.

This is what fixed the problem entirely for me: change the card's thermal paste. I found an old thread (I recommend reading it here) and thought it was worth giving it a try. I opened my RX 480 and the thermal paste was really, really poor. Too dry and looked cheap. I cleaned it off and applied the new one I had bought (Coolermaster Mastergel Maker), and now, 2 months after, I've had no black screens at all. I'm back to using my GPU factory settings too, so no need to lower them down anymore.

I strongly advise taking a look at the thread above. It may help you a lot, like it has helped me.

alex_alin2010

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018

Yeah, that would be a problem, but considering it is a brand new card , i'm not gonna poke my nose in it :)) , anyways i think the issued is fixed for now (overheating issue on my motherboard and bottleneck from my CPU) and hopefully when i will upgrade my system to ryzen soon (Ryzen 5 2600x) all will be good.

Sep 6, 2018

My card was a new card aswell, it actually didn't even take a whole year to start having these blackscreen issues. I really don't think it's worth it to have your brand new card running at 25% decrease in performance, that's the only reason I wouldn't call it "fixed" myself. Just imagine running a game at 45fps when it really should be at 60fps, or running it at 75fps when it should be at 100fps. That's what such decrease in power can do. If you don't plan to ask for a refund and your card stays dependent of this 25% power decrease, I'd recommend opening it some time just to check the condition of the thermal paste, which might've been the real culprit this whole time. But hey, it's your call! :D

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
I thought I would share my experience as well.

I recently bought a 1060 6GB for 170$ from a friend. I stress tested it to be sure it's working fine as it was dirt cheap. To my surprise/horror, it went up to 92c. I opened it up and saw the generous amount of slime left behind by the manufacturer. After cleaning it meticulously like an autist with OCD, I used a paste similar to AS5. Then I installed a 2$ fan on the lower part of the side panel designed for GPU cooling. Upper part used for CPU.

My max temps became 64c after overclock to 2050MHz. Now I'm cutting/drilling an acrylic sheet for a killer backplate

alex_alin2010

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018

Like i said earlier,i didn't underclocked my gpu by 25% i just increased the power limit(as in how much the current the gpu will take from my psu if needed) to +25%. Of course if something still isn't working properly after i change my system to Ryzen i am gonna RMA the card. But for now i think the CPU is bottle-necking it, plus i had some issues with the heat in my pc.

Joe02a

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2015
Sorry. Having Similar issue as TITLE- I have a Sapphire RX 460 Nitro. I had to RMA it before for speed issue. I got back a referb, I thought was doing when previous monitor was connected. My other monitor is 75hz, worked well for a while. Them someone else in my house wanted a new monitor, so gave them my ViewSonic VX2457-MHD 24". And Bought ASUS VG245H. Same Cords. And the Only way 75hz Shows on Monitor Props is when in Radeon turn off GPU Scaling. Then Monitor Props will show 75hz. Both Radeon and Monitor's OSD are Freesync enabled. But, from a cold start once my system gets to the point of login or startup for desktop it blue screens with HDMI 1 No Signal. Yes, I checked all HDMI cables as well as having issues when switching monitors to test. I am Tired of having to RMA this card. And Cards are too expensive right now to replace it. I think Sapphire is going to suck. I have an EVGA nvidia geforce in one system and had an MSI Radeon that this one replaced. They are working great, other than obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.