Rx 470 90C underload - too hot right??

cutterr

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Hello all,

I got a MSI Rx 470 about a year and a half ago and it has never had a over heating problem. But while playing fortnite maxed settings it reaches up to 90C but will usually be around 86-88 degrees Celsius while playing

Yes I have removed dust on the card. And I’ve also tried using wattman to set the max temp but if I lower it even a little games lag spike extremely bad..

I was wondering if This was hurting my gpu because I hear of people have much lower temps while playing with there 470’s. Also it runs at around 50-52c while ideal.

What are my options to keep the cool down other than using a after market cooler? Also should I hold off on playing games if it’s getting this warm?

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Solution
Check to see if the graphics card fan is working while playing games. I've heard of issues like this before and come to find out the fan motor was burned out or the fan was stuck on wiring or a power cable inside the case. Also, you never stated what the ambient room temperature is where you have your PC.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Check to see if the graphics card fan is working while playing games. I've heard of issues like this before and come to find out the fan motor was burned out or the fan was stuck on wiring or a power cable inside the case. Also, you never stated what the ambient room temperature is where you have your PC.

Solution