Question Rx 470 is hitting 85°c is it too hot or normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2019
I have xfx Rx 470 4gb, when I play games like crysis 3, shadow of Mordor, rise of the tomb raider on ultra settings 1080p the temperatures of my card goes to 86°c with low fan speed as default settings set by Radeon wattman.
Later on I manually set the fan curve to spin at 100% when the temperature goes to 80°c now the temperature varies from 80c to 82c at 100% fan speed. But the game runs smooth no freezes no shutdowns no fps drops. I am too much concerned about these temperatures are they too high or normal? Can these temps damage my gpu?

And one more thing the Ambient temperatures are too high here, bcz 36c to 40c is normal in summers here so my room temperature should be around 30 to 32c how much they effect gpu temps. And what could be the effect of running fans on 90 to 100% speed while only gaming?
Plz Help!

System specs:
Core i5 3570
16 Gb Ram
Xfx Rx 470 4gb
Psu 500 watt antec 80+
Hdd 1Tb
Ssd 250 gb

Last edited:
80-82C is a high TEMP, but it's not a very alarming value to worry much about, IMO. And yes, the ambient TEMP values also makes a difference. How is the airflow inside your ATX cabinet ? You may want to check on the intake/exhaust fans, and the alignment of the chassis as well.

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As Metal Messiah said, air flow and ambient temps play a part.

Having your fan go 100% all the time would wear it sooner than expected.

Maybe you can do some trial and error with lowering a few of the eye candy graphics settings. Some of them don't have a huge visual impact on what meets the eye but result in a noticeable decrease in heat generation.

If you don't really notice a degradation in visuals and also a decrease of a few temps you can keep the settings.

May 28, 2019
80-82C is a high TEMP, but it's not a very alarming value to worry much about, IMO. And yes, the ambient TEMP values also makes a difference. How is the airflow inside your ATX cabinet ? You may want to check on the intake/exhaust fans, and the alignment of the chassis as well.

Airflow is not that good. Case with 3 fans two intake one exhaust. But I managed the cables pretty well so there will be much room left for the air to flow. And one more thing bro this card is almost 2.5 to 3 years old should I replace it's thermal paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.