WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I'm absolutely mind boggled at my current problem. A little backstory, recently replaced an old asrock pro4 b350 that had a dead ram slot and was faulty elsewhere too since system was randomly completely locking up, did a fresh w10 64bit pro install too. Unfortunately it seems like I've traded an intermittent freezing problem for a BSOD/game crash every time I'm gaming problem now...

I've tested ram, SSD, HDD's, done sfc/scannow, all fine. New mobo too, current one is Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM, on the 2nd to the newest bios, from Nov 2019.

Originally on this new install I got the newest latest beta AMD driver 20.7.2, BSOD shortly after starting gaming....I then (while making due to do DDU in safe mode in between each install) tried the last 3 stable AMD gpu drivers for the rx 480 from the past couple months, and those either cause BSOD or crash the game too. I get dxgkrnl.sys BSOD when it does the BSOD shortly after starting gaming.

Currently on the older ~Oct 2019 19.10.1 GPU driver but it didn't help.

I've had the GPU 4 years, it's the dual fan XFX version, could it just have deteriorated out of the blue? If so, why was it stable on 1080p furmark on demanding settings with no artifacts for 30 min torture test, yet a few mins into a game it BSOD or crashes.

The only other thing I can think of is the power supply is dying? It's a very well regarded Seasonic bronze rated modular 620w though, had it since late 2017.

Ryzen 1700 stock speeds, XFX rx 480 8gb gpu, mobo am4 Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM, 32gb 3000mhz ddr4 g.skill, w10 on Samsung 840 SSD, games on a few 7200rpm HDD's

All the temps are fine within range, nothing out of the usual.

Mind boggled due to several different drivers installed being careful to do so with DDU, and games crashing the pc, yet it was stable in furmark lol.....any help? I think PSU is the only logical thing left....?

I moved a few months ago and would have to hunt it down in storage but I have an old GTX 660 1.5gb OEM blower gpu I could try, unfortunately I think it's lower power draw than the rx 480 anyway so that wouldn't truly rule out a bad gpu versus a failing PSU...I did hear of the rx 480 apparently sucking a lot of juice from the PCI slot and certain motherboards not liking that, but I read that was supposedly fixed years ago? Pc is fine idling or watching youtube/twitch/browsing online, only gaming crashes/causes BSOD.

From "WhoCrashed" program

On Mon 7/27/2020 11:06:57 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (0xFFFFF80659FA1142)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80659FA1142, 0xFFFFED89744D0C20, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 7/27/2020 11:06:57 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072720-17281-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (0xFFFFF80659FA1142)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80659FA1142, 0xFFFFED89744D0C20, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Solution
I completely glossed over your Ryzen 1700X mention. Yeah RAM speed compatibility has been Ryzens worst downside, especially when Ryzen needs RAM speed so badly.

Have you installed the latest BIOS for your mobo to get the latest AGESA updates? These have been absolutely crucial on 1st and 2nd gen Ryzens.

I wouldn't see DDR4-3000 as a disservice to Ryzen 3000.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
Did you pull the system RAM from the old mobo also?

What config is your 32GB RAM (2x16GB, 4x8GB)?

I would first be toubleshooting the possibility of there being a faulty stick of system RAM.

Good news, I did DDU, went to last stable driver from May 2020, and have been playing Squad for a few hours straight fine after setting ram to 2133 from 3000 in the bios. The Asus Mobo already had the SOC voltage to 1.1 which is the most people have ever said to push it really and the pc still couldn't handle 32gb 8gb x 4 at 3000....guess I'll try 2933 and work my way down from there....there's quite the fps drop going from 3000 speed down to 2133, people weren't kidding when they said slow ram cripples ryzen. Hey, at least components aren't dead :) I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sick of ram problems, had to RMA a dead stick the other week out of a new 16gb set I added to my existing 16gb set for 32gb total. With what it'd cost for 32gb "AMD official" ram of 3200mhz or even 3000 I could probably hunt down a good used modern i5 6 core, I've priced their mobos and even brand new they're like 50 bucks. Alternatively a 3rd gen ryzen could improve ram compatibility, but I wouldn't wanna pair a 3rd gen with "only" 3000 ram, I'd want 3600mhz or above with 3rd gen ryzen. Just a couple contingency plans I brainstormed while racking my brain with this PC crashing problem lolol. I had read only first gen ryzen was picky with ram period nonetheless OCed ram....I heard the situation gets even worse if you OC the CPU on top of that, I miss the plug and play forget about it nature of Sandy Bridge intel

I completely glossed over your Ryzen 1700X mention. Yeah RAM speed compatibility has been Ryzens worst downside, especially when Ryzen needs RAM speed so badly.

Have you installed the latest BIOS for your mobo to get the latest AGESA updates? These have been absolutely crucial on 1st and 2nd gen Ryzens.

I wouldn't see DDR4-3000 as a disservice to Ryzen 3000.

Solution