[SOLVED] RX 480 8GB SAPPHIRE ''artifacting'' sudden problem.

ErikasLTU

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Hey guys,

My GPU (I hope) picked up this problem out of nowhere where the screen displays ''artifacts''? usually after I launch a game for example War Thunder or Factorio. This happens on every game now and it is getting worse to the point where the PC is unusable. I can only play youtube videos or use Chrome without the PC displaying the artifacts. It has been 1 week now since I've tried to solve the problem myself but of course nothing really worked, I've tried to install different drivers, reinstall my windows, reset bios settings, re-seat the gpu, nothing really worked. The gpu or the system was never overclocked because I didn't want to wear the parts, the PC was cleaned of dust every once a month. Here are some images of artifacting.
View: https://imgur.com/a/oWEboHy

View: https://imgur.com/a/kbOgSk0

The artifacting looks as if it has a sequence: I launch a game, the artifacts come on for 2-5 seconds then the screen turns off and turns on back again and there's a notification saying the the display driver crashed and it has recovered successfully, the game crashes as well. (PC just displayed artifacts now)..

My specs:
Motherboard: ASUS H110M-K
RAM: 8GB DDR4
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5
CPU: i5-6600k 3.50ghz
PSU: EVGA 600W 80+
Storage: 1TB Toshiba, SanDisk SSD

If there's some info missing, just let me know. I want a short answer if my GPU is faulty or it's dying (GPU bought in 2016). Thanks for reading.

Edit: Here how factorio looks on the loading screen before it crashes:
View: https://imgur.com/a/p34Hysk

Last edited:
I want a short answer if my GPU is faulty or it's dying (GPU bought in 2016)

Yes, those are indeed signs of a faulty GPU, most likely due to VRAM corruption, and other causes. What's the exact MODEL number of your EVGA PSU ? Can you test the card by using some other Power supply, or better yet check the GPU on a totally different PC ?

RMA the GPU, if the warranty is still there.

Reactions: lux1109

ErikasLTU

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Yes, those are indeed signs of a faulty GPU, most likely due to VRAM corruption, and other causes. What's the exact MODEL number of your EVGA PSU ? Can you test the card by using some other Power supply, or better yet check the GPU on a totally different PC ?

RMA the GPU, if the warranty is still there.
Hey thanks for the quick reply, the PSU is a
EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W, 100-W1-0600-K3
I will try using a different PSU since I have a spare one.

OEM means the Original equipment Manufacturer, which might be HEC, not EVGA for this particular Model. An original equipment manufacturer (OEM) is a company/firm that produces parts and equipment (e.g. HEC), that may be marketed/sold by another manufacturer, which is EVGA in this case.

You don't have to worry about all this though.

Reactions: lux1109

ErikasLTU

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
OEM means the Original equipment Manufacturer, which might be HEC, not EVGA for this particular Model. An original equipment manufacturer (OEM) is a company/firm that produces parts and equipment (e.g. HEC), that may be marketed/sold by another manufacturer, which is EVGA in this case.

You don't have to worry about all this though.

Thanks, I have a spare 750w psu I will test my system with it and see how it goes. Thanks again for your help, appreciate it.

ErikasLTU

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
That's OK. No problem at all.....Check the GPU by using the spare 750W PSU, and update me on this issue as well.....But, I still suspect your GPU might be faulty.
I've tested the machine with the 750w psu and the problems were still there.

I found out that I had a VGA cable and I've tested the pc with the integrated graphics. There were no artifacts or flickering appearing on my screen anymore. I've launched League of Legends and the artifacts didn't appear either. I don't think its a problem with my evga psu and you're right about that my gpu being dead.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.