RX 480 8gb vs GTX 1060 6gb autodesk

Zanees19

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
I'm going to be using inventor, Revit, autocad, and 3ds Max and I need help choosing a video card. Right now I'm between the RX 480 and GTX 1060 but if anyone has any suggestions for other cards at a similar price point I'm all ears.

Solution
the GTX 1060 will outperform and outlast an RX-480, in terms of performance you will get a couple more fps on most games which require more intense lighting, shaders, etc. here are links comparing them, statistically the 1060 is better on paper however the rx 480 does get better fps on a good amount of games as well, its kind of a tug of war, the deal breaker for me is in my personal opinion the 1060 should last longer and nvidia is known for leading the market, up to date there is no really known problems where as every retailer you can read reviews of the rx 480 being problematic and in the past i did not like the amd cards i had, i currently have a 1070 and have had no problems and it works with ease. here are the comparison charts...
I'm no expert, but looking at the list I think NVidia (CUDA) is probably the best support overall.

When the GPU is being used (sometimes it's just the CPU) a lot of these programs have rapidly diminishing returns for GPU such that going from a $150 (ish) GTX1050Ti to a GTX1080Ti might in some cases only gain 10%.

These programs vary a LOT on if a GPU is used, and how MUCH it is used.

*This is only one link. To get a good idea you have to find several of them ideally: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-3ds-Max-2017-GeForce-GPU-Performance-816/#Results-BenchmarkGraphics

Look mainly at whatever program would benefit MOST, see what that is and ignore the others.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

+1 to this, i'd buy a RX 480 for Gaming purposes for many reasons, but the GTX 1060 would be a better Rendering card since it has CUDA cores and GPU accelerated PhysX which may help with some applications, it also runs cooler with less power usage which i suppose is a bonus if it helps you.

Its_Crisis

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015
the GTX 1060 will outperform and outlast an RX-480, in terms of performance you will get a couple more fps on most games which require more intense lighting, shaders, etc. here are links comparing them, statistically the 1060 is better on paper however the rx 480 does get better fps on a good amount of games as well, its kind of a tug of war, the deal breaker for me is in my personal opinion the 1060 should last longer and nvidia is known for leading the market, up to date there is no really known problems where as every retailer you can read reviews of the rx 480 being problematic and in the past i did not like the amd cards i had, i currently have a 1070 and have had no problems and it works with ease. here are the comparison charts. http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-480/3639vs3634

Solution