[SOLVED] RX 480 crashes with code 43 - more info below

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hi!

So I just put together a PC for a friend of mine. Unfortunately the GPU (or rather the graphics driver) crashes on every startup. Device manager says "windows stopped this device (code: 43).

Right after installing Win10, I tried to install the latest graphics driver from AMD. The installation went through, but it was strange since I didn't see any flickering on the screen, the resolution also did not change to the native 1080p, it stayed low.

I restarted the PC, could change the resolution up to 1080p but the gpu does not work (error code 43).

I saw Windows Update did install drivers for the graphics card before I installed mine (it was in the update history). I paused Windows Update and turned to DDU.

So I went ahead and deleted the c:/AMD folder's subfolders containing the installed driver, restarted into safe mode, ran DDU which restarted my PC fine, downloaded the latest stable driver again, installed - nothing. Same as before: error code 43.

I'm really running out of ideas here.
The GPU is working fine in my own PC, swapped it in to try and worked absolutely fine.

Here's the specs of the PC:

MB: Intel DQ670W
CPU: Core i5-2400
Memory: Hynix 2x4gb
GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 8GB
PSU: FSP Hexa+ 400W (going to be replaced, but it should handle this)
1x 120gb ssd + 2x 1tb hdd
3x 120mm led fans

Latest build of Win10 Pro.

Any ideas? Never had a GPU driver failing even after DDU. Since it's fresh Windows I could just try to re-install but there should be a way and it bugs me, to just get it working.

Solution
SOLVED:

For some reason it seemed to work when I tried for less than a minute, but turns out the GPU is faulty.
I put it into my living room PC which utilizes an RX 580, and it threw the error code: 43 after clean driver reinstall as well.

Good thing I bought it from a genuine guy, he'll replace it so it's happy end.

Thank you for the advices!

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
it work in your system with your psu could you try your psu in is system to see if error comes on .

You mean the PSU could be wrong?

It's something I really don't want to do since the cable management took ages, but I'll try and connect a spare PSU I have at home to see if it's working with that. This PSU used to work fine in my friend's previous system though, which had a Core 2 Quad Q8300 and an R9 280X, which consumed more power than this. I'll check it anyway.

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
SOLVED:

For some reason it seemed to work when I tried for less than a minute, but turns out the GPU is faulty.
I put it into my living room PC which utilizes an RX 580, and it threw the error code: 43 after clean driver reinstall as well.

Good thing I bought it from a genuine guy, he'll replace it so it's happy end.

Thank you for the advices!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS