Question Rx 480 high idle temps

peterprogamer92

Prominent
Mar 23, 2018
For a while now I ve been having issues with the temps on my Gpu even on idle.

While idle, it can go up to 60 70c. Only having a video opened, tge fan rpm is at around 800.

While gaming, it goes up to 90c, stuttering the games

Its not that dusty though and I'm kinda scared to cha ge the thermal paste. I downloaded afterburner to tweak the fan abit and run faster but I don't know if it's a good idea.

WildCard999

Titan
Create an aggressive fan curve with MSI Afterburner. As long as the fans aren't caked in dust then realistically you could run those fans at 100% constantly without issue but for most it's usually too loud. 90C is too hot to run that card and should be capped around 80C.

Here's my recommendation for a fan curve.

40% fan speed base, this should be fairly quiet and keep the GPU well within safe ranges.
60% @60C
80% @65C
100% @75C

Try these settings and let me know how they worked out for you. If it's too loud then you can adjust the fan speeds below 80C mark and make 80C @100%.

Just wondering, what is the exact model of your RX 480?

peterprogamer92

Prominent
Mar 23, 2018
Create an aggressive fan curve with MSI Afterburner. As long as the fans aren't caked in dust then realistically you could run those fans at 100% constantly without issue but for most it's usually too loud. 90C is too hot to run that card and should be capped around 80C.

Here's my recommendation for a fan curve.

40% fan speed base, this should be fairly quiet and keep the GPU well within safe ranges.
60% @60C
80% @65C
100% @75C

Try these settings and let me know how they worked out for you. If it's too loud then you can adjust the fan speeds below 80C mark and make 80C @100%.

Just wondering, what is the exact model of your RX 480?
Msi rx480 8gb gddr5. The one with 1 small fan

jexorz

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2013
I have an xfx rx480 and recently changed my thermal paste, It goes bad over the years.. I too was having problems but Do not mess with the video card settings themselves, I saw HUGE results from changing the fan curve in msi afterburner and changing out my thermal paste, You may also have a dust clog inside the card if its like mine heat dissipation is really good right until you get a tiny amount of dust on the internal heatsink.