RX 480 not performing?

pstefa1707

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
To start of with, my system specs:

I7 4770
16gb 1600mhz
Asus Dual Rx 480 4GB

I had a gtx 950 and just upgraded to the rx 480... I used to average 170 fps in forntite on all low, competitive settings and got around 170 fps on rocket league with "quality" settings... I know get 150 and 160 fps respectively! I have been trying to figure it out all day, no thermal throttling... I hardly see my gpu usage go above 60-70% and my cpu usage is always at 40%.

I have tried literally everything and even whiped my drive and reinstalled windows... no idea what it could be! I doubt my cpu is bottlenecking!

Heres my cinebench scores, its weird how is says windows 8.

Capture.png

Solution

Personally any difference would not really be worth the price difference. And honestly your money would be better spent on a better processor that could allow your GPU to reach those higher frame rates. Although personally your GPU is still producing framerates that even the fastest monitor can not reproduce on the screen with those games so it is unlikely to be affecting your gameplay...

caqde

Distinguished
CPU usage in a game is not quite what one would think 40% could be full usage for a game. Due to how multithreading works and that most games aren't multithreaded what you are seeing is max usage on 3 threads and partial usage on a 4th, your processor provides 8 threads. Given the driver differences between AMD and Nvidia it is possible that slight difference is just driver overhead and you are seeing a CPU bottleneck from that and your GPU usage definitely shows that turn up the settings slowly on those games and you should see little if no differences until the games are almost maxed out. At that point the differences in speed between the GTX 950 and the RX 480 should show.

pstefa1707

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015

In games like bf4 and gta 5, etc.. i get 100% gpu usage and everything runs as it should, way better fps.. It is not acceptable for a gtx 950 to out perform an rx 480 in competitive high fps games, its just weird? Should I sell the rx 480 and buy a gtx 1060?

caqde

Distinguished

Personally any difference would not really be worth the price difference. And honestly your money would be better spent on a better processor that could allow your GPU to reach those higher frame rates. Although personally your GPU is still producing framerates that even the fastest monitor can not reproduce on the screen with those games so it is unlikely to be affecting your gameplay...

Solution