Rx 480 Overheating Problems

Dark_8

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I recently upgraded to a brand new Powercolor Rx 480 8Gb Graphics card and have been using it for about two weeks and was slightly concerned by the average of 70C in games like DOOM and Watch Dogs but brushed it off. I decided to play GTA 5 and it ran at around 100fps on "Very High" everything. Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with MSI afterburner and GTA 5 launch errors that prevent the game from launching so I could not monitor temps or change fan speed and left it on "auto" but after a day of it running fine I was in the middle of an Online session when the entire power to my PC was cut then followed by an auto startup. I found this suspicious but in my head brushed it off as a mini power cut as my room lights were turned off at the time. But it then happened a few more times and I realized it was most likely overheating. It happened again and I opened my case and touched my finger against the exposed heatsink and it was clearly too hot. I put all my textures and settings down to medium and low and it still happened. At the moment i just have a desk fan wedged up in my case. I also tried to find a GPU fan speed controller in my BIOS but can't see one Can anyone suggest a fix?

P.S I found that I and a lot of other people online have a problem where MSI Afterburner causes GTA 5 to crash on start so you have to kill the MSI background process in task manager.

Also, my graphics card can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-480-DL-DVI-D-PCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B01JGQBSV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496443316&sr=8-1&keywords=powercolor+rx+480

Looking to some reviews your GPU seems to usually reach 75ºC on heavy graphics games so as long as it doesn't go beyond 80ºC you're fine in that regard.

In order to monitor your temps on GTA 5 which has that issue with MSi Afterburner you could use HWInfo and enable its log feature, after closing the game /crashing simply check the log file to find out the max temp reached.

If there was some power loss at your home (since your room lights also turned off) there could have been some damage to your PSU/GPU leading to those following crashes, which PSU do you have btw?

Susquehannock

Honorable
70c during those games is about normal. All the rx480 I've dealt with are the same way. That said, your card is a non-reference design and dumps heat into the case. So good airflow is a big help. Especially cooling things down quickly once you go back to desktop.

Dark_8

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
My PSU is a 2nd hand Aerocool 600W (Non-Modular). I do not believe it was a power cut as we used to have them in my area when I was younger but we haven't had one in years. I will try HWInfo and get back to you.

Dark_8

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

I have 4 case fans that I have placed so all my case has a great one-way airflow (under load my CPU only gets up to 35C max) So I don't think airflow is a problem. The fans do not seem to be spinning very fast and I was wondering if there was a way to make them spin faster?

Dark_8

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

So, I had 2 days where the shut offs stopped and today I had 3 ( So far). I haven't found out how to record HWINFO readings yet but I have just set up an alarm system if temps go over 87C as I believe my card shuts off over 90C. I'll get back if it gets triggered. And I noticed that after the shutdown, the graphics card fans make a really loud and high pitch whirring noise, I assume this is 100% speed but they don't even make a sound while spinning. normally in intense games and don't even spin when I'm just browsing the internet so do you know any way I could manually control my fans (like in afterburner).

Also sorry I shouldn't have put the power cut bit in, it's only cause it was my first thought of what it was... The lights in my room were already off and it's just as 2 or 3 years ago we had 3 or 4 months where there were many power cuts that lasted for a fraction of a second.

Dark_8

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

I don't know how to get wattman and unfortunately, Powercolor doesn't have a powerup tuner for my GPU.
Unless I'm just being stupid...

Dark_8

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Sorry for the late reply, I've had a lot on.
Thanks, I tried with the fans on 100% and temps were at 50C under intense loads so I've set it up so my fans are still silent but temps only get to 75C max under intense loads. Its been like this for a week with no crashes... Let's hope I don't have anymore.

Thanks to all who helped.