Question RX 480 Power Requirements

Evil Nemesis

Prominent
Sep 12, 2020
As google says this gpu requires 450W min PSU. but I have this PSU (Attached) everything was working fine before. HD 7770 was running okay on this PSU but since I installed the new GPU RX 480 and connected it via 6 to 8 pin connector sometimes I have to turn on my pc twice to get the display. Even sometimes display goes off randomly...
I don't know if it's PSU or the connector issue.

Here's the PSU:
View: https://imgur.com/a/g3PSRGh

So Should I just change the connector or change the PSU and buy one that has 8 pin.

Thanks.

The GW550SEL has "Enhance dual +12V output capability to 18A", which means it is a 216W PSU by "modern" specs.
It is also claimed to "Support Vista operating system with high-end graphic card", which implies it was made around 2007.
I agree with Vic 40.

From the PSU label:

+12V1+12V2+12V3+12V4
17A16A12A12A

Multiple +12V rails and according to the above it's not a "216W" PSU.

Getting that out of the way, the PSU should be replaced with something better definitely as it's ancient and low quality most likely.

So +1 to @Vic 40 .

Last edited:
Reactions: Vic 40

Evil Nemesis

Prominent
Sep 12, 2020
Thanks for the helpful replies guys, yeah you are right when the card is plugged I got 2 blackouts and when I ran train sim world 2020 on ultra settings the psu fan was crazy and hot air was coming out of it. So I shut down the pc and unplugged GPU connector. Now using builtin graphic card and will replace this psu tomorrow from the market.
Btw, I was able to capture a speccy screenshot when that gpu was on. Here it goes: View: https://imgur.com/a/mzv9gaq

So what PSU you recommend for rx480? Antec 400W? But that doesn't have any 8 pin for gpu so can I use the SATA to 8pin Connector or is it better to buy one which has 2 8pin connectors one for mobo and one for gpu?

My mobo is asus H87-Plus which requires a 8pin mobo connector as well. Thanks.

Evil Nemesis

Prominent
Sep 12, 2020
Okay, so I took it to the market and they said this psu is ok for the card. They added a 2 six to 8 pin for gpu, installed a new heatsink as the old one was loose and an extra fan for case. Let's see now.

Evil Nemesis

Prominent
Sep 12, 2020
Yeah it's working fine but the only funny thing is when I run Train Simulator 2012 (Railworks3) after a minute my pc shuts down and restarts. Even though in much heavy games and new games it works fine.