RX 480 temperature capped at 60 degrees

meremees111

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
Hey

I'm getting some weird thermal throttling at exactly 60 degrees. When i lower the fan speeds, the temperature rises to 60 and stays there, followed by more throttling. When i rise the fan speeds, the throttling gets less worse.

Why is my GPU max temperature capped at 60 degrees?

I have tried different drivers.

Thanks in advance

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016
Use GPU-Z to see if there is a performance cap while playing.

60C is good for a max temp, but I doubt that's actually the case. What are you currently using to see temperature and throttling?

meremees111

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016

Here are screenshots of both GPU-Z and HWinfo while running Witcher 3 and Firestrike

Witcher 3:

rukMknw.png

Firestrike with ~60% fan speed

0pqZJxy.png

Firestrike with max fan speed:

38jx1Yh.png

As you can see, the core clock is not stable at all and the temperature won't rise above 60 degrees. Both Firestrike scores were about 9000, which is lower than the expected performance of the rx 480. I find it interesting that increasing the fan speed didn't lower the throttling.

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016

Most of your readings in GPU-Z are set to max, click on them to change them to current readings.

meremees111

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
Yes, I tried different fan and temperature curves, the problem persists on both manual and automatic mode. I've also lowered the voltage on state 7, but the problem was there before that aswell.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
In both cases you are at the 150watt TDP max. You are TDP limited, which coincidentally corresponds with 60c. Your GPU voltage looks lower when your fan-speed is higher. I would wager that the lower temperature is causing your GPU to use less voltage, reducing heat generated and power consumed, giving your more efficiency.

The coincidence of 60c could be that is when the voltage starts to ramp-up causing a bias to reach the 150watt TDP cap very near 60c.

You could try taking off your case-side and aiming a decently strong fan to see if more cooling helps. Maybe you just need better case circulation or some aimable slot fans.

meremees111

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
Could you elaborate a bit about what the TDP limit is about? I don't understand why am I reaching this limit and why it's effecting the card in such a way.

No matter how much cooling I give to this card with 2 case fans, max fan speeds and low ambient temperature, I still get core clock throttle.

solo4

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
Have u ever resolved this issue? I am having the same problem, i am speculating thermal paste needs to be reapplied. Speculation is gpuz readings are different than the card uses internally, as i observed degrading performance in time, mine would throttle at 80c , later @70 and now 60+ according to gpuz readings

Feb 25, 2018
I've got the same problem:

0owFO

IMGUR
I have no idea, its connected to the radeon softvare, but what causing it, is a mystery. I am sure, i do not hitting the TDP, 150W is set, and its barely reach 110W, i have tried different BIOS-es, from XFX, from AMD (my card is an XFX ref tuned by XFX with an Artic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IV on it)

Oct 30, 2020
Hi,

As far as I see that replies above are from more than 2 years ago, someone may still google for answer and I'd like to share mine.

I had issue that consisted of 2 parts:
  1. Max temp. capping at 60°C - in this case I took my PC to local repair shop and they have found out that chipset on RX480 is broken. They mentioned that this is known issue. It is more than a year after the fix now, I can definitely say that problem is solved. So issue is likely hardware (but I can't guarantee that it is the same in all cases).
  2. I suffered not only from degraded performance of RX480, but I also had some annoying, regular stuttering that happened each second. Even if you have the cap described above, you can still play some games, but experience will be horribly degraded due to the stuttering. Solution is to disable ULPS (Ultra Low Power State) and it is described here: https://community.amd.com/thread/176003 . In case if link got broken in some time, here's short summary: open regedit.exe and look for key that is called "EnableUlps" (NOT "EnableUlps_NA", don't touch that one). Modify its value to 0 for all occurrences of this key (there may be more than one in case of CrossFire). Restart graphics driver by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Win+B (or alternatively restart PC). Repeat same after every update or reinstall of graphics driver (ULPS will be likely turned on by installer).