[SOLVED] RX 560 and PCIe 1.1 in an old rig

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Just wondering if I should sell my RX 560 to a friend who has an ancient MSI G41M-P23 motherboard with PCIe 1.1 He has a Q9400 quad core w/GT 1030 and would like to game at least a little at FHD. Hence the reason for the GPU upgrade. My question is; will the RX 560 be badly crippled by the older PCIe 1.1?

Solution
I didn't even know they made a 4GB RX-5500 XT.
Btw, getting back to my original question... the RX 560 I was referring to is only 8 PCIe lanes. Change anything?
It's probably not a problem. I mean if anything else, putting a RX 560 in an older system may be held back since the RX 560 is still way more powerful than anything else available at the time of the C2Q Q9400's release.
I didn't even know they made a 4GB RX-5500 XT.
Btw, getting back to my original question... the RX 560 I was referring to is only 8 PCIe lanes. Change anything?
It's probably not a problem. I mean if anything else, putting a RX 560 in an older system may be held back since the RX 560 is still way more powerful than anything else available at the time of the C2Q Q9400's release.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The RX 5500 XT 8GB is a low-mid range card?

It is comparing to higher end cards in its generation but superior to the older stuff being a tiny bit faster than an Rx 580

Your friend should still see an improvement with the 560 but how much will depend on game and of course cpu. Cpu draws the frames and ships those to the gpu to render. Gpu will only be as fast as the cpu is able to supply it.

Allow him to try it first because his motherboard not being uefi is most likely going to be a problem getting the card to display. Nvidia are more forgiving, still running dual vbios for legacy support. Amd have dropped legacy support with their 5xx series (not sure about 4xx) and while some legacy boards may run uefi only cards, depending if manufacturer offered bios updates with partial uefi support, it'll be mostly a gamble.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
It is comparing to higher end cards in its generation but superior to the older stuff being a tiny bit faster than an Rx 580

Your friend should still see an improvement with the 560 but how much will depend on game and of course cpu. Cpu draws the frames and ships those to the gpu to render. Gpu will only be as fast as the cpu is able to supply it.

Allow him to try it first because his motherboard not being uefi is most likely going to be a problem getting the card to display. Nvidia are more forgiving, still running dual vbios for legacy support. Amd have dropped legacy support with their 5xx series (not sure about 4xx) and while some legacy boards may run uefi only cards, depending if manufacturer offered bios updates with partial uefi support, it'll be mostly a gamble.
You were spot on. We just tried the RX 560 on his PC. Recognized it fine, and it seems to work fine all the way up to the Win10 desktop at least. I also tried my RX 5500 XT just for kicks. No-go, just like you warned. Once past POST, the card's fans stop and the screen goes into sleep mode. Thanks for the info.