Question rx 560 gpu fan not spinning at all

NTomaCristian

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
i have an r7 1700, 16gb ram, sapphire rx 560 4gb
until today, fans were normal, spun up when in games and died down in browsing
until i saw i was getting 30 fps in a game where yesterday i was getting 90
saw the gpu was at 84 celsius, gpu core clock at 300mhz, and fan speed was at 0
tried restarting, re-seating the gpu, playing with fan speeds in open hardware monitor and in amd drivers but nothing.
it's not like it's not reading the speed, the gpu itself is not spinning, if i push it with my finger it will go up for a few seconds in the readings.
i doubt that it is driver related since i know the fan must spin when powering on the pc, which it is not.
i don't know what else to do.
Help!

Nov 4, 2021
Does the fan have any dust or debris that could be clogging it? Can you see the power wire for the fan (on the GPU board) and is it plugged in? Is the 6-pin power connector seated correctly?

NTomaCristian

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
no dust or debris in the fan or the chassis, the 6 pin power is seated correctly, as it not only ran before but i re-seated it 3 times, and the fan wire on the gpu is plugged in properly as i tried unplugging and plugging it back in, nothing.
as a temporary fix i cable tied another fan to the front of it :), it's quieter and cooler actually, but i would still like to fix it if possible.

Nov 4, 2021
Pretty cool temporary fix (y). I'd suggest reinstalling your GPU drivers on the off chance that it's software related (changed or corrupted fan settings).

I think it might be a bad fan or that the GPU isn't pushing power to the fan. A way to test the fan would be to remove it and plug it into a power source and see if it spins.