rx 560 poor performance

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
MSI Radeon RX 560 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 560 4GT LP OC 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express x16 (Uses x8) HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Video Card
amd phenom II x4 955 (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler)
4gb ram
ASUS M3N-HD HDMI AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

playing overwatch on lowest settings its always under 100 fps, averaging around 60 i believe.
from what i see online the benchmarks testing on overwatch they get like 100 minimum on ultra settings

64C is highest temp i seen

did i get a faulty card? is my processor the cause of the problem? motherboard?

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
quick newegg and amazon search i couldnt even find a cpu to upgrade to. would it be worth spending $20 for 2gb more? or just focus on building a new computer all together?

I would usually say not to spend money on an old outdated system, but $20 isn't much so it could be worth it.
Before you do, check system RAM usage, you can do this with the resource manager or use a program like MSI afterburner and display usage while in-game. If you're seeing very close to the 4GB being used, then it's the lack of RAM which is the biggest issue.

Your phenom can play the game at about 70fps (dips in teamfight). Your card can in no way push 60fps ultra.
The reason you are most likely having issues is the minimal amount of ram so I recommend you just go to ebay and get another 4gb stick which "should" work as long as it matches the other one or if you want 100% compatibility you buy a 2x4gb kit.

Look in task manager then look at page file useage. This will likely be a lot. What that means is that the os is using virtual ram to compensate the lack of actual ram. However this virtual ram is incredibly slow since it's just reading from your hdd or ssd and causes a lot of stutters in game.

This does not change the fact that your cpu is not really up to the task however but more ram will help a lot with consistent framerates and eliminating stutters.

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
my processor is better than blizzards recommended so why is it a problem? they recommend 6gb and i only have 4 so i understand why that could be a problem.

the 560 looks like it might be slightly weaker than the 7950 but that should mean i can run low settings with decent fps no/

The OW min spec cpu is meant for 30fps+ gameplay. So whilst yes you'll get 60fps most of the time that won't always happen. The 560 is more than enough for the game but as said before you need 8gb of ram. (6gb is also not nearly enough). You migth say but I'm only using 80% of my ram. That is normal for windows to ofload as much as it can into the pagefile to keep ram free. If you look around a bit in task manager you'll see (in windows 10) xGB/xGB of ram commited this will be much higher than your actual ram as this also includes the pagefile. Windows 7 just calls this virtual memory

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
i have kingston hyper x ram, i cant find any used on ebay. is there any way to know which other ram would work with it? there is 4gb corsair xms2 and 4gb g.skill same price

There is really no way to know but try. Mixing ram is always a gamble and it might work sometimes it won't other times. The best thing to increase your chances of it working is get as close to the current stick(s) as you have and get that.

Another way is to simply get a 2x4gb kit and sell the 4gb stick.