Question RX 5600 XT temperature keeps rising on idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2020
Hi,
So today I bought an Sapphire RX 5600 XT Pulse and the problem is that on idle temperature is really high (like 50° ) and it keeps rising, so when it reaches 60° fans start kicking until temps are again down to like 50° . It takes like 5 minutes for GPU to rise from 50-60° and the fans are running for about 40 seconds, after that GPU turns back on zero-fan mode. I tried installing different AMD drivers and also I flashed a new VBIOS, but nothing helps. Should I send card back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's pretty normal because the fans aren't spinning. If you had a high-end model with a large aluminum heatsink with copper heat pipes it might idle without reaching 60C, but it's still somewhat normal. The Pulse is the budget option from Sapphire. If you want a quiet and cool GPU get something like the MSI GAMING X or Sapphire Nitro+, which I'm not sure are available yet since the 5600XT is so new. Otherwise, you just kinda have to live with a GPU that makes noise with the fans running.

Feb 14, 2020
I just don't think that this is normal because everywhere I looked, tests has shown that the temps are lower and also they are really stable. Also the zero-fan mode on this card makes no sense this way because the noise of the fan starting spinning at like 1000 RPM is way more irritating than the fans spinning at low speed all the time...

I just don't think that this is normal because everywhere I looked, tests has shown that the temps are lower and also they are really stable. Also the zero-fan mode on this card makes no sense this way because the noise of the fan starting spinning at like 1000 RPM is way more irritating than the fans spinning at low speed all the time...
1000RPM may be the minimum speed for the fans. Install MSI afterburner and create a custom fan curve, but the minimum fan speed is usually 40%.

Feb 14, 2020
Fan curve in Afterburner has a strange behaviour... It lets me set 25% fan speed, but in reality it turns fans off. In Radeon Software I can set fan speed to 20% which is about 1000RPM, but when automatic fan speed is enabled, the minimum is like 700RPM

Feb 14, 2020
The difference between 700RPM and 1000RPM is massive. I wouldn't mind if the fans were spinning all the time at 700RPM really, but at 1k rpm it's noisy. I figured out that fan curve in afterburner works only when the temperature reaches 60° and turns off at 50°, just like that 40 second fan spin time I was talking about earlier.

Feb 14, 2020
Ok, i figured out what is causing the problem. The problem is that memory clock is always at 1750MHz. I have two monitors, 1080p60 and 1440p75. I realised that when I unplug 1080p monitor and set 60Hz refresh rate for the 1440p one, memory clock runs at 200MHz at idle and the temperature stays below 40°! I didn't knew that RX 5700 is also having that problem for a looong time and no one has fixed it. AMD explained that GPU needs to handle way more pixels, so GPU works harder, and that is true, but is it neccesary to run memory clock like 9x more that usual? I don't think so... I really don't know if there's any help to this problem. I could just run only one monitor but that's just stupid or I could live with fans spinning every like 5 mins or I could just send the card back and get an nvidia one, but I wanted to build a hackintosh, so I would be very upset...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS