Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
Good day! I am planning to buy a laptop. It will be used for autocad and r program; also a bit of casual gaming. Now, I'm in a conflict on which one to pick. My choices are Dell G3 and Acer Nitro 5.

Acer Nitro 5:
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U
RX 560x 4GB
8GB RAM
1 TB HDD (will add ssd later on)

Pros
+A bit more affordable
+Has good reviews and recommended in youtube videos

Cons:
-Not sure/familiar about the video card and processor

Dell G3:
Intel i5 8300H
GTX 1050 4gb
8GB RAM
1 TBB HDD

Pros:
+It doesn't scream "gamer"
+Also has good reviews

Cons:
-A bit expensive

These are my only choices since I cannot expand my budget any longer. The items will be shipped in my country(Philippines) since the variants here are much more expensive.

Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

Edit: I could also buy the Ryzen variant here in the Philippines but it costs about $738. Should I instead get it? It only has 4gb RAM but there are freebies, in which I assume, is additional 4gb RAM. Here's the specs and freebies:
  • AMD RYZEN™ 5 2500U quad-core processor (up to 2 MB L2 cache, up to 4 MB L3 cache, 2.0 GHz with Precision Boost up to 3.6 GHz, 15 W)
  • 4 GB of DDR4 system memory, upgradable to 32 GB
  • 15.6" display with IPS (In-Plane Switching) technology, Full HD 1920 x 1080, Acer ComfyView™ LED-backlit TFT LCD 16:9 aspect ratio Wide viewing angle up to 170 degrees Ultra-slim design Mercury free, environment friendly
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 560X with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
  • Windows 10 Home
• Freebies
• Acer VX15 Backpack Nitro
• Sony Tiny Flash Drive 16b
• Upgrade Freebies
• Additional Adata Memory 1x4gb Ddr4-2666 Sodium

Last edited:

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Buy whichever you can afford.

Obviously Dell G3 is superior if that's what you want to know, but Acer Nitro 5 offers a much much better value for money. Also, AMD RX 560 X has an edge over the GTX 1050 (Mobile), at least in benchmarks.

Now considering the fact that both have about the same graphics performance, weight and upgradability, it would be a terrible idea to choose a Dell G3 over the Acer Nitro 5.

So, just get the Acer Nitro-5, and later add an 8 GB DDR4 stick and a M.2 SSD, like Intel 660p or Crucial P1 for boot drive.

reppin

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Good day! I am planning to buy a laptop. It will be used for autocad and r program; also a bit of casual gaming. Now, I'm in a conflict on which one to pick. My choices are Dell G3 and Acer Nitro 5.

Acer Nitro 5:
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U
RX 560x 4GB
8GB RAM
1 TB HDD (will add ssd later on)

Pros
+A bit more affordable
+Has good reviews and recommended in youtube videos

Cons:
-Not sure/familiar about the video card and processor

Dell G3:
Intel i5 8300H
GTX 1050 4gb
8GB RAM
1 TBB HDD

Pros:
+It doesn't scream "gamer"
+Also has good reviews

Cons:
-A bit expensive

These are my only choices since I cannot expand my budget any longer. The items will be shipped in my country(Philippines) since the variants here are much more expensive.

Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

Edit: I could also buy the Ryzen variant here in the Philippines but it costs about $738. Should I instead get it? It only has 4gb RAM but there are freebies, in which I assume, is additional 4gb RAM. Here's the specs and freebies:
  • AMD RYZEN™ 5 2500U quad-core processor (up to 2 MB L2 cache, up to 4 MB L3 cache, 2.0 GHz with Precision Boost up to 3.6 GHz, 15 W)
  • 4 GB of DDR4 system memory, upgradable to 32 GB
  • 15.6" display with IPS (In-Plane Switching) technology, Full HD 1920 x 1080, Acer ComfyView™ LED-backlit TFT LCD 16:9 aspect ratio Wide viewing angle up to 170 degrees Ultra-slim design Mercury free, environment friendly
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 560X with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
  • Windows 10 Home
• Freebies
• Acer VX15 Backpack Nitro
• Sony Tiny Flash Drive 16b
• Upgrade Freebies
• Additional Adata Memory 1x4gb Ddr4-2666 Sodium
The Nitro 5 has shit thermals though and make sure your programming needs work on Ryzen. If you need to Virtual Box and stuff, it won't be as easy as Intel.
8300H>2500
560X>1050

Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
Buy whichever you can afford.

Obviously Dell G3 is superior if that's what you want to know, but Acer Nitro 5 offers a much much better value for money. Also, AMD RX 560 X has an edge over the GTX 1050 (Mobile), at least in benchmarks.

Now considering the fact that both have about the same graphics performance, weight and upgradability, it would be a terrible idea to choose a Dell G3 over the Acer Nitro 5.

So, just get the Acer Nitro-5, and later add an 8 GB DDR4 stick and a M.2 SSD, like Intel 660p or Crucial P1 for boot drive.

Yeah, I'm also planning to add RAM and SSD in the near future. I guess I'll go with that suggestion afterall. Thank you!

Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
The Nitro 5 has shit thermals though and make sure your programming needs work on Ryzen. If you need to Virtual Box and stuff, it won't be as easy as Intel.
8300H>2500
560X>1050

I am also aware of this. I think I will repaste a thermal paste after using it for a month or two. Any thoughts about that?

reppin

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
I am also aware of this. I think I will repaste a thermal paste after using it for a month or two. Any thoughts about that?
Repasting helps when thermals go up cause of the thermal paste hardening but the Nitro 5 has a really poor heat dissipation system.
I guess you should be fine with normal games though and casual use though.
See if some sales are up and try to get the G3 or check where the Legion Y530 is at but if you need a laptop right now, go ahead with the Nitro 5.

Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
Repasting helps when thermals go up cause of the thermal paste hardening but the Nitro 5 has a really poor heat dissipation system.
I guess you should be fine with normal games though and casual use though.
See if some sales are up and try to get the G3 or check where the Legion Y530 is at but if you need a laptop right now, go ahead with the Nitro 5.
Okay, it is final now. The 2 options I have is both the Nitro 5 with i5 and ryzen. Which is much better for work and gaming? The Ryzen 5 with RX560X or i5 with GTX 1050? Hoping for a quick response because I'm planning to buy it tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyan32

Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
Well, I bought the i5 with GTX 1050. It's still on delivery though, it's not here yet. I didn't continue the option to buy from US because of shipping issues. The price of the ryzen with rx560x is $841 (PHP 42,999) in here. The price of the i5 with gtx 1050 is about $899(PHP 45,999). But then again, the i5 is on sale right now. From $899 to $782. It includes free voucher from adidas(worth $100), a mouse, 16gb flash drive, and a backpack. So I went with it... Did I make the right choice here? They said that the intel is faster than the AMD. About the gpu, is rx560x faster than the gtx 1050?

Btw, I'm using the laptop for coding and drawing apps like autocad. And of course, a bit of gaming... So, did I score the right one here?

Sagar_20

Distinguished
RX 560X is better when it comes to gaming. You'll get 5-7 fps more in games but i5-8300H is a lot more powerful than the Ryzen-5 2500U but it's power draw is also like 3 times.

Dell G3 good laptop, but not value for money. Little bit heavy just like the Acer Nitro-5.

If you casually game, then i guess you made the right choice.
Be happy with what you have.

If possible, add a decent M.2 SSD for boot drive.

TRENDING THREADS