[SOLVED] RX 570 on an old 400w PSU

Jan 9, 2018
Hello,

I am interested in the idea of undervolting the RX 570 4gb gpu without sacrificing too much of a performance in order for it work under an old 400w power supply unit. Is something like this viable, or even possible. I am completely uneducated in such matters so I came here for advice.

I have been here recently, asking about CPU upgrade and one of your distinguished number suggested a GPU upgrade as well. I declined that suggestion being acutely aware of the mission creep in matters of upgrade. But then again, I looked anyway and was surprised to see low power consumption GPUs cost as much as some of the more powerful ones. Or perhaps it is the other way around, that something like a RX 570 not being more costly than the less powerful ones.

The only reason I am asking because the RX 570 4gb is comparable in price to RX 560 and even slightly more inexpensive than GTX 1050Ti, where I live, that is.

These latter two cards were my original choice, but this has much more horsepower at roughly the same price point, yet the hurdle is obviously its power requirement. So I simply wondered, in a hope against hope, hah, or perhaps more likely with morbid curiosity, if someone had undertaken the experiment before and lived to tell the tale.

SPECIFICATIONS:

PHENOM II X6 1055T 125w
8GB RAM
MSI 400w PSU

Indeed, I am well aware that the system is old and obsolete but I am just curious about your opinion on this specific matter.

Solution
Current card that resides in my PC is ASUS R7 250 1GB GDDR5 low power consumption card. I am not unhappy about it, actually.

I suppose I am just curious about the tantalizing possibility of something very powerful being within my reach if I ever decide to go for an upgrade.

As for the PSU, unfortunately I do not know. I am away from home and the only bit of information I can give is the same as before. It is an MSI 400w unit which has come with the computer which is at least eight or nine years old. I do not know the particularities of the model so I apologize for the scarce information.

Without knowing the quality and true power of the PSU there is no way to say if it's a good idea to stick a higher power gaming card in...
Jan 9, 2018
Current card that resides in my PC is ASUS R7 250 1GB GDDR5 low power consumption card. I am not unhappy about it, actually.

I suppose I am just curious about the tantalizing possibility of something very powerful being within my reach if I ever decide to go for an upgrade.

As for the PSU, unfortunately I do not know. I am away from home and the only bit of information I can give is the same as before. It is an MSI 400w unit which has come with the computer which is at least eight or nine years old. I do not know the particularities of the model so I apologize for the scarce information.

Without knowing the quality and true power of the PSU there is no way to say if it's a good idea to stick a higher power gaming card in the system.

The AMD platform you are running on is pretty much a dead end now, spending money to upgrade it should be spent towards parts for a new system. You can probably sell your full system for about $150 which is almost enough for a much faster Ryzen/Intel i3 and a motherboard. A faster video card may be a good idea but that is the only thing I would change since you can move that card into another computer later on.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

TRENDING THREADS