Question RX 570 Sapphire Nitro+ 8pin vs 8+6 pin.

theheadshotdude

Reputable
Jul 31, 2017
So I got an rx 570 sapphire nitro+ 4gb, and I read on the back of the box that the GPU needs an 8-pin pci-e connector, but you can also plug in another six pin for additional performance. Now, my PSU only has one 8-pin, and i'm wondering if the extra 6-pin is enough of a performance increase to warrant a new psu now. (PSU's are very cheap where I live, and my current one is non-modular so I was planning to upgrade anyways somewhere down the line.) TIA :)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Plugging in the additional 6-pin won't give your GPU any magical boost in performance. Only thing it does is stabilizing the power input from PSU to GPU.

Though, PSU upgrade may or may not be worthwhile, depending on which PSU you currently have. Speaking of that, your current PSU make and model (or part number) is?

theheadshotdude

Reputable
Jul 31, 2017
Plugging in the additional 6-pin won't give your GPU any magical boost in performance. Only thing it does is stabilizing the power input from PSU to GPU.

Though, PSU upgrade may or may not be worthwhile, depending on which PSU you currently have. Speaking of that, your current PSU make and model (or part number) is?

Well, my current PSU is a realpower eco silent 500. I took it from an older build as I was on a tight budget when I first made this pc. some search results on google say there are multiple models though I can't find any difference in name. Only that some have only a six pin pci-e connector. guess i got lucky in that case. If I would upgrade, It would probably be a better known brand and a semi-modular/modular psu.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that RealPower PSU is a crap quality unit and i'd replace it with much better build quality PSU.

For a good quality PSU, look towards any Seasonic unit. E.g Focus or Focus+. PRIME and PRIME Ultra series PSUs are flagship line of PSUs from Seasonic and only PSUs in the entire world that comes with 12 years of warranty. Focus+ comes with 10 years of warranty and Focus comes with 7 years of warranty.

Though, without full system specs, i can tell if you'd be looking towards 500W range PSU or 600W range PSU.
Oh, all my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.