[SOLVED] RX 570 - strange issues in some applications excluding games

kompot

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
Hello there,
I've got Asus ROG Strix Radeon RX 570 Gaming OC 4GB. Recently I've encountered strange problem in some applications. Sometimes red dots appears on the screen when I use Steam launcher or Radeon "Adrenalin" Software. What's strange I've never encountered such problem in games and during "office work".
I thought it might be artifacts but they're supposed to appear in games under heavy load, right?
All drivers are up to date. I did a little undervolting (1.012V) and that's all.
Any ideas what to do?
Thanks!

Solution
Disable the power limit and, starting from P4, add 10 extra to every one until you reach 1052 on P7. Give it a try with a few games and the problematic applications and see how it goes.

kompot

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
Undervolting without a reduction in clock speeds can cause that as well. So can heat. You need to look at your GPU and see what's going on. (Clock speeds, temps, etc.)
Temps: idle 33, stress 73 (max)

I've changed only last four voltages, it looks like that:
Yaoxayk.jpg

As I said before it runs fine in games. I don't know what's wrong with it :/ I get the feeling that Radeon Adrenalin Software is damaged but what do I know :(

4745454b

Titan
So you feel it's ok to give the card the same voltage at 1240MHz that it gets for 1040? If it's stable then great. If you have issues I'd go back to default.

If it works in games and desktop I wouldn't worry. When loading odd things can happen. Might even be from your drive, etc. I've seen screens flash black, etc when it's loading something. If that's the only time you see red dots I wouldn't worry. Is your CPU OC/undervolted as well?

Gzr

Apr 8, 2020
Disable the power limit and, starting from P4, add 10 extra to every one until you reach 1052 on P7. Give it a try with a few games and the problematic applications and see how it goes.

Reactions: kompot
Solution

kompot

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
Thank you, looks like disabling power limit has worked! Red dots are no more and GPU is less noisy.

Will disabling powet limit affect performance?

Reactions: Gzr

Gzr

Apr 8, 2020
Thank you, looks like disabling power limit has worked! Red dots are no more and GPU is less noisy.

Will disabling powet limit affect performance?

Well, it's a bit complicated... Usually with rx cards that come pretty OVERvolted at stock (for whatever partner), the usual suggested route is to undervolt, both for thermals as well as overall efficiency and stability. Sometimes, the route is to undervolt AND overclock.
When it comes to undervolting, increasing the power would be advised. However, this has been problematic in certain cases (such as yours).

The power limit essentially allows the card to draw extra power than whatever you or the default settings have assigned for it, to be able to stably and consistently sustain whatever frequency the clock is set at.
Logic would dictate that, when you undervolt, you want this at +50, just in case the voltage you've specified is inadequate. However, as you have seen, some people experience artifacts, black and blue screens and other unwanted phenomena. Hence my suggestion to disable it.

If this worked for you without increasing the voltages as I suggested, that's good. My suggestion for upping the voltage was mainly for stability. Erring on the side of caution, if you will. 1052 at P7 is still considerably less than stock (if I remember the 570 voltages correctly) and should be satisfactory when it comes to thermals and stability.

As for performance, I'd keep an eye out for that. Monitor with afterburner and if you see the clock frequency wavering or anything else unusual (crashes, black screens etc), increase the voltages in small increments until it's stable.

With the silicon lottery, it's pretty much a case of trial and error and I find rx cards pretty finicky and very susceptible to the gods of fortune when it comes both to undervolting as well as overclocking.