[SOLVED] RX 5700 - Crashing, Now I'd like to downclock it

RazorOPS

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Hello there. I've been having issues with my RX 5700 card since I bought it. I've tried everything, nothing helped. I've seen some people talking about undercloking/undervolting but I'm not sure what that process implies exactly, so I'm looking for advice here. [If you'd like more info, I'll provide you with everything I can!]

Some of the things I've been trying over the past few days:

* To test for crashes I'm using Geeks3D's FurMark running a custom GPU stress test with the following settings: 1920x1080 Fullscreen, Anti-aliasing: 8X MSAA.
** I'm also using GPU-Z to log all the data from the GPU into .txt files. I wanted to provide all these logs but I can't find a easy way to upload them.
*** GPU Tweak II is installed as well and is set to the "Gaming Mode" preset

1. The test was done without changing anything which resulted in a crash causing the PC to instantly restart with the GPU fans ramping up to 100% where I was forced to manually hold the power button to shut it down.
  2. The test was done with the "Power Limit" option in Radeon Software set to -5% which resulted in the same type of crash.
  3. The test was done with the preset "Silent Mode" in GPU Tweak II selected which resulted in the same type of crash.
  4. The test was done with the option "Undervolt GPU" under the Auto Tune section in Radeon Software which resulted in the same type of crash.
  5. The test was done with the PCIe option in BIOS being changed from Auto/Gen 4.0 to Gen 3.0 which resulted in the same type of crash.
  6. The test was done with the setting "Maximum Frequency" option under GPU Tuning in Adrenaline Software being set to -10% which resulted in the same type of crash.
These are the specs of my PC:
  • MB: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS-WIFI (BIOS ver. 2607)
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
  • RAM: 16GB of HyperX Predator 3600 Mhz (2 x 8GB Sticks running @ 3200 Mhz)
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 (Reference Design)
  • Cooling: Kraken X52 AIO Cooling
  • PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX 750W
  • Storage: 250 GB NVME M.2 SSD (SAMSUNG 970 Evo Plus)
  • Storage: 1 TB SATAIII SSD (SAMSUNG 860 QVO)
  • Case: NZXT H500 (With 2 120mm fans that came with it which are blowing air into the PC)

All the settings in Radeon Software (Currently on 20.7.2 which is not the latest [The latest one is 20.8.2], but the issues have been present in all the previous drivers versions that I've tried in the 2020 driver lineup) are left on default with the "Standard" preset being selected in the Setting Advisor.
FreeSync is disabled in software as well as in the monitor settings themselves.

Solution
Did you contact the card vendor support? Is anything overclocked?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by contacting the card vendor support, should I contact AMD directly or should I contact ASUS 'cause it's their model I'm guessing since there's a manufacturers link in the info from the store I bought it from. As for overclocking, literally nothing is overclocked since I've got no knowledge and frankly I'm scared to touch any of the OC settings.

EDIT: I've just sent an email to AMD Customer Support as well as to ASUS Customer Support. I've registered my GPU on the ASUS' site as well just to be sure. The thing is, I'm just not expecting much from their support...

[IMPORTANT ] EDIT 2: After months of trying things out...

RazorOPS

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Did you contact the card vendor support? Is anything overclocked?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by contacting the card vendor support, should I contact AMD directly or should I contact ASUS 'cause it's their model I'm guessing since there's a manufacturers link in the info from the store I bought it from. As for overclocking, literally nothing is overclocked since I've got no knowledge and frankly I'm scared to touch any of the OC settings.

EDIT: I've just sent an email to AMD Customer Support as well as to ASUS Customer Support. I've registered my GPU on the ASUS' site as well just to be sure. The thing is, I'm just not expecting much from their support...

[IMPORTANT ] EDIT 2: After months of trying things out, I've found the culprit... It was the GPU temps... Turns out the default fan curve in Adrenaline Software is complete garbage, where my GPU temp was going up to 90 degrees with the hot spot temperature reaching 100 degrees. I've taken the fan curve found on Reddit and I've been running FurMark with Fullscreen 1080p, 8X MSAA for over na hour with the temps going to 76 degrees MAX.

Last edited:
Solution