Question RX 5700 microstutters when something new happens in-game ?

Jan 4, 2024
Hello everyone, this is my first forum post. My PC is 4 years old and had been working perfectly until about a month ago. All games I play started micro stuttering occasionally, especially when something new happens.
Meanwhile my average fps seem to be the same as they've always been. That's the gist of the problem.

My specs:
  • CPU: Intel i7-9700KF @ 3.60Hz 8 cores
  • GPU: AMD GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700
  • Motherboard: ASRock H370M Pro4 with BIOS American Megatrends Inc. P4.10, 07.05.2019
  • RAM: Two 8GB sticks of Patriot Memory VIPER ELITE 8Gb DDR4 2666 MHz DIMM CL16 PVE416G266C6KGY
  • Storage: 480GB SATA SSD Kingston A400 SATA SA400S37/480G (~360GB free space left)
  • PSU: Thermaltake PSU TT Smart RGB 700W PS-SPR-0700NHSAWE-1
  • Display: S24R35x HDMI 23.8" 1080p 75Hz (Has AMD FreeSync support but I keep it off)
Only lead I have is my GPU MEMORY CLOCK fluctuates between 10-100 and 750-800 when I'm gaming, but idk if that's normal or not; core clock is stable
63tdc2S.png
- memory clock graph, abnormal or fine?

Really not sure what's the source of the problem. Any help would be appreciated

Jan 4, 2024
I've tried these things so far:
  1. Reinstalling GPU drivers with AMD Cleanup utility, then with Display Driver Uninstaller (safe mode and all)
  2. Installing older GPU drivers
  3. Turning Windows Game Mode on/off
  4. Cleaning PC with compressed air
  5. Reseating GPU
  6. Reseating RAM
  7. Reinstalling Windows, clean from a USB (which fixed my long booting time of 45s back to ~10s)
  8. Monitoring temps and usage with MSI Afterburner, all seems normal: stuttering still happens even while temps are below 70°C
  9. Tested SSD in CrystalMarkInfo and CrystalDiskMark. ~550MB/s read speed and ~450MB/s write speed, 84% GOOD health status
  10. sfc /scannow
  11. Replugging HDMI cable
  12. Turning XMP Profile off/on again
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1dmcz56l04
- demonstrating stutters, timecodes included in pinned comment. With VSync on fps drops from 75 to 60, with VSync off it drops from 130 to 90 or smth like that

What might have changed since a month ago when all was well?

Stuttering is caused by a temporary lack of a critical resource. Usually cpu.

Are you multitasking while gaming?
Has a higher priority app intruded?
Chrome and discord might be the first things to eliminate.
Check your startup tasks.

Perhaps a virus or malware has intruded.
Can you use system restore to reset back to when all was well?

Can there be a heat issue and you are throttling?
Run hwmonitor and look for cores that run at 100c.

Look at task manager resource monitor.
select memory tab and look at the hard fault rate when the issue appears. If you see a rate above zero, you are using too much ram.

Jan 4, 2024
I played Baldur's Gate 3 (a demanding and CPU-intensive game) a lot a month ago and that's when I noticed all my games started stuttering occasionally. I had low fps but the computer itself wasn't lagging or anything out of the ordinary.

• Tried playing without multitasking, same story
  • Tried playing without any apps running in the background - nothing changed
  • I turn off unnecessary startup tasks
  • Definitely no malware or virus, I'm very cautious + I did a clean Windows reinstall
  • Can't restore because I did a clean Windows reinstall
  • I checked all temps and they seem fine, below 80°C
  • Max temps while loading many chunks in Minceraft reached 75°C, still stuttered while doing so. In Deep Rock Galactic barely ever goes above 70°C and the microstutters still happen

No hard faults when the issue appears, RAM isn't close to reaching 100% usage either
I also did the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool test and passed, temps didn't go above 80°C either

TRENDING THREADS